This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why is the stealth genre dying?

#61MonkeymagePosted 8/28/2013 6:25:59 AM
JBirdMusicLover posted...
Monkeymage posted...
Play Dishonored. It's as close to a modern Thief as you can get.

What about the modern remake of Thief?

It's not Thief, not even remotely.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#62SinisterSlayPosted 8/28/2013 6:40:18 AM
DiviDude posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Playing Dishonored now.
So far I wish it had a darkness crystal like Thief did.

Also I don't care for how people don't die in 1 hit if they are surprised when using the crossbow. The crossbow seems useless except for sleeping darts.

I agree, I was playing the DLC yesterday and a surprise dart to the face only managed to alert everyone to my presence. Which is kinda the opposite of what a stealth weapon is supposed to do. And I got annoyed being spotted in what I thought were dark shadows but was never quite sure of because, yeah, no darkness meter.

Yeah that's happened to me way to many times.
For a while I was just reloading over and over. But I have gotten sick of that and now I just gun them or sword them with click spamming. Which sort of ruins the stealth aspect of the game, and makes it more frustrating then fun.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#63pothocketPosted 8/28/2013 6:47:58 AM
DiviDude posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Playing Dishonored now.

Also I don't care for how people don't die in 1 hit if they are surprised when using the crossbow. The crossbow seems useless except for sleeping darts.

I agree, I was playing the DLC yesterday and a surprise dart to the face only managed to alert everyone to my presence. Which is kinda the opposite of what a stealth weapon is supposed to do. And I got annoyed being spotted in what I thought were dark shadows but was never quite sure of because, yeah, no darkness meter.

Some enemies wear head protection. Helmets, masks....you're probably hitting the armored portion. Other than that getting a headshot on an unaware enemy is an instant kill.

The bolts are also EXTREMELY useful in a straight up fight because they can cause the enemy to stumble and a melee strike on a stumbled enemy is an instant kill. It's one of the simplest and most effective combos in the game.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#64SinisterSlayPosted 8/28/2013 6:49:36 AM
pothocket posted...
DiviDude posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Playing Dishonored now.

Some enemies wear head protection. Helmets, masks....you're probably hitting the armored portion. Other than that getting a headshot on an unaware enemy is an instant kill.

The bolts are also EXTREMELY useful in a straight up fight because they can cause the enemy to stumble and a melee strike on a stumbled enemy is an instant kill. It's one of the simplest and most effective combos in the game.

How do you aim long range with the crossbow?
Is there a zoom in button?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#65pothocketPosted 8/28/2013 6:53:24 AM
SinisterSlay posted...

How do you aim long range with the crossbow?
Is there a zoom in button?

Yes, Corvo can purchase up to two levels of zoom from Piero for his mask and the crossbow/pistol can be fired while zoomed in.

In the DLC Daud starts with level 1 zoom but I don't think he has the option to buy into level 2
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#66XechsPosted 8/28/2013 6:55:41 AM
The problem is that lots of stealth games added guns a blazing to appeal to more people and there is no consequence for it. If you get caught big whoop you just clear the area. It's a lot closer to MGS style stealth actually and who wouldn't want to try to mimic one of the biggest and most successful franchise.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#67brainlackPosted 8/28/2013 6:58:09 AM(edited)
evolving? but deus ex was the last one that made stealth genre evolve in deus ex you can sneak you can tear the whole level with guns and in my memory there isn't a single time you are being force guns blazing versus the now you are being forced its more of a downgrade even in mgs there are times you are forced guns blazing(besides the boss)
edit: add tenchu some boss battle can be avoided or they can be defeated by stealth
---
playing re6 with 8x sparse grid ss with 32xs(2x2 ss + 8 ms)+ mixed sample x128 + 32 forced anisotropic then I hear ps4 is powerful than my pc
#68DARQ MXPosted 8/28/2013 3:48:24 PM
Still have metal Gear Solid 5 coming!!!!! Can't WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS
#69CircleOfManiasPosted 8/28/2013 4:20:39 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Playing Dishonored now.

Not to mention the difference in level design. Dishonored's missions are glorified hallways. Nothing even 1/10 of the size of Framed, Life of the Party, Blackmail, etc.

Oh, and if you get caught? No problem, just use your superpowers to get out of it. Stealth is optional.

At least higher difficulties make things more interesting, adding objectives and remixing aspects of the level like Thief, right? Nope, enemies get more HP.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#70SinisterSlayPosted 8/28/2013 7:32:37 PM
CircleOfManias posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Playing Dishonored now.

Not to mention the difference in level design. Dishonored's missions are glorified hallways. Nothing even 1/10 of the size of Framed, Life of the Party, Blackmail, etc.

Oh, and if you get caught? No problem, just use your superpowers to get out of it. Stealth is optional.

At least higher difficulties make things more interesting, adding objectives and remixing aspects of the level like Thief, right? Nope, enemies get more HP.

I wish stealth was a little bit more manageable. With things like the visibility crystal.
But also failing stealth should nearly kill you if you can't escape.
---