This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why is the stealth genre dying?

#71TimePharaohPosted 8/28/2013 8:38:39 PM
CircleOfManias posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Playing Dishonored now.
So far I wish it had a darkness crystal like Thief did.

Also I don't care for how people don't die in 1 hit if they are surprised when using the crossbow. The crossbow seems useless except for sleeping darts.

Not to mention the difference in level design. Dishonored's missions are glorified hallways. Nothing even 1/10 of the size of Framed, Life of the Party, Blackmail, etc.

Oh, and if you get caught? No problem, just use your superpowers to get out of it. Stealth is optional.

At least higher difficulties make things more interesting, adding objectives and remixing aspects of the level like Thief, right? Nope, enemies get more HP.

Nothing says stealth like magic time stop powers
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#7260fpsPosted 8/28/2013 8:45:29 PM
The moern gamer doesn't have the patience for it.

I don't think it's dying. It's just not forced as the only way to play these games. It's gone from a genre to a difficulty. Most games with stealth will give you greater rewards/score for being stealthy even though you can ignore that and go Rambo. Hitman:A had this and I don't think it lost it's stealthy mechanics. The problem was that it was more about sneaking past chain-linked check point areas than the sandbox-y areas of the previous games where you only had to do a hit and that was it. Besides that it was still Hitman and even gave multiple ways to do creative hits.
---
Currently playing: Marvel Heroes, Avengers Alliance, Warframe.
#73Relentless639Posted 8/29/2013 4:40:23 AM
It's a mix of lack of patience and lack of intelligence. By which I mean tactics.
Gamers are too dumb to even use basic tactics let alone use furtivity.

Take L4D2 for example. How many players do you see constantly surrounded because they can't stay hugged to a wall that gives them at least 180 of cover?
Players use multiple Health kits because they "need" to get 100%, and they can't pay attention to the numbers. They can't listen for Special Infected. They don't close the f***ing lights. Use the weapons for appropiate ranges, etc.

I showed MGS4 to my uncle, he's in his 30s, he can't make it past the intro because it's long and boring enough with so much going on, as soon as he begins, he goes full action, rushing and getting spoted. I try to teach it to him, but he doesn't learn.
He's become a casual through the years. We used to wreck s*** in Mega Drive back then. And he is like this because he work quite a few hours a day, now as recent born son. And I understand how tiring it is. It's why he enjoys simple movies like Uncharted series which are linear and easy to rush.

It's a lost art. But then that means it gives me an edge over the average player.
It also doesn't help that my first FP"S" was Ghost Recon, and then I unawarely bought Rainbow Six III. I though those were what regular FPSs were like when I started PC gaming. Needless to say I got a dramatic start. I was also unware about quick saving... So I tried to do entire missions without getting shot at once. =(
#74pothocketPosted 8/29/2013 4:56:15 AM(edited)
Relentless639 posted...

Take L4D2 for example. How many players do you see constantly surrounded because they can't stay hugged to a wall that gives them at least 180 of cover?
Players use multiple Health kits because they "need" to get 100%, and they can't pay attention to the numbers. They can't listen for Special Infected. They don't close the f***ing lights. Use the weapons for appropiate ranges, etc.
(

Yeah, everyone seems to be unaware that the zombies and special infected have awareness rules. And they wonder how I almost always take the least amount of damage by the end. All it takes is tactical use of crouching and turning off my light and it means I'm drawing far less agro than anyone else.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#75NotQuiteAFreakPosted 8/29/2013 4:52:27 AM
Splintercell: Blacklist?
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#76pothocketPosted 8/29/2013 4:53:46 AM
CircleOfManias posted...

Oh, and if you get caught? No problem, just use your superpowers to get out of it. Stealth is optional.

Everything is optional. You're comparing it to thief as if it's meant to be a 1-for-1 modern day replacement but it's so much more than that.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#77DarkshowersPosted 8/29/2013 5:21:58 AM
They don't make steath games like they use to because like everyone says - they are way too hard for the average, casual mainstream gamer.

The best stealth games are the old Tenchu, Hitman and Thief games.

I still remember the old Tenchu games where I would replay every level over and over again to get the best, Grandmaster rating. I still have my save file somewhere. I didn't get far in Thief because it was too hard at the time but as I recently bought the collection on Steam, I'll be giving it another shot soon.
#78A_JolteonPosted 8/29/2013 5:34:45 AM
Knighted Dragon posted...
I think the problem is that stealth games are just too easy. Most seem like they are hard and make you think you need a lot of skill to beat them but in reality most are just really easy even on the hardest difficulties. This is why most stealth games can just be played as a crappy FPS or hack and slash, you can just stand up and stop crouching and run past most enemies no problem. Some are more tedious than hard, but most are just a breeze that you can blow right through with barely any trouble even on your first time, like Dishonored

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ziXMBuqOQ

If it's a good stealth game, playing like that will only make it harder. Not to mention painful to watch.
#79AnimorganimatePosted 8/29/2013 8:55:19 AM
Mega_Skrull posted...
Animorganimate posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
Play Mark of the Ninja.

True stealth, don't be put off by the side scrolling approach.

I came in here to say this.

Mark of the Ninja proves modern stealth games are alive and well and can thrive if given the chance.

Mark of the Ninja II is one on my most anticipated games.

Eff you good sir, you made me excited, but google told me there's no Mark of the Ninja 2 coming out. Only that special edition dlc. Just kidding on the eff you part

Really? I could have sworn I read something somewhere that Mark of the Ninja II had been confirmed. Now I'm sad, and want to say "eff" me too.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#80PraetorXynPosted 8/29/2013 10:18:52 AM
thatfool12Gs posted...
Am I the only person who would love to see a next gen Tenchu??

I only ask that competent Asians run a QA check on it before it ships because in retrospect it is amazing that the game even shipped..

I would provided it comes to PC.
I actually happen to like both types of Stealth, the kill everything undetected and the "you were never there."

That being said, I recently played through Thief Gold and Thief 2 for the first time, and they are by far the best stealth games I've ever played.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9