This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why is the stealth genre dying?

#81Solid_SchmittyPosted 8/29/2013 10:51:32 AM
galfasanta1111 posted...
You had Hitman Absolution. Which didn't feel like a proper hitman IMO. Stealth wasn't required to beat missions.

I just saw a demo of Thief 4. You could fight multiple enemies at the same time and beat them. The level was linear. WTH??? The same happened with Splinter Cell Conviction, but thankfully Blacklist regained some ground.

Why is this happening though? I don't want Stealth games to be limited to side scrolling, 2d Indie developers.

By all means.... Troll harder.
#82LazyyAmericanPosted 8/29/2013 11:08:08 AM
It isn't just the stealth genre...it's all games period. It's your job to either be open minded about it or shun everything.
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#83PraetorXynPosted 8/29/2013 11:26:44 AM
Solid_Schmitty posted...
galfasanta1111 posted...
You had Hitman Absolution. Which didn't feel like a proper hitman IMO. Stealth wasn't required to beat missions.

I just saw a demo of Thief 4. You could fight multiple enemies at the same time and beat them. The level was linear. WTH??? The same happened with Splinter Cell Conviction, but thankfully Blacklist regained some ground.

Why is this happening though? I don't want Stealth games to be limited to side scrolling, 2d Indie developers.

By all means.... Troll harder.

Let me guess. You don't game on PC?
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#84AlexTheNextOnePosted 8/29/2013 11:32:45 AM
Because stealth games don't involve primarily centering your screen on the thing you want not-to-be-alive?
---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
~
#85galfasanta1111(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 2:56:19 PM(edited)
DiviDude posted...
There are generally two types of stealth gameplay.

There's the sneak-up-behind-and-kill-baddies approach that you find in, say, Far Cry 3 or Splinter Cell: Conviction. You're supposed to remain unseen and basically clear the place out as elegantly as possible. There are still plenty of these made.

Then there's the best-to-just-avoid-baddies approach that the Thief games revolve around, that games like Deus Ex, Alpha Protocol, and the Metal Gear series are really good at. These do seem to be disappearing, largely in favor of the elegant-kill style above.

Dishonored I would say falls somewhere in between. I like both styles but yeah, when people say "stealth" they tend to implicitly mean non-violent stealth - that's why Conviction for instance is seen as not a "real" stealth game, even though it certainly is. I also tend to prefer type 2.

I prefer type 2 more too.

Type 1 is good too, but I prefer type 2 more. Deux Ex, Thief series, etc.
---
i7 3930k @ 3.2ghz | GTX 580 | 8GB DDR3 | 875W
#86Psalm51Posted 8/30/2013 6:29:30 AM
Yep, agreed. Non-violent stealth is what comes to mind here in is why I think so highly of the first Deus Ex game. Stylish stealth kills are cool and all but a few of us genuinely like to play some games the non-violent way. Heck, even Pokemon refer to kills as pass or knock-outs.
---
King David, my hero.
#87Psalm51Posted 8/30/2013 6:31:01 AM
Ooppss...non-violent actually means non-lethal.
---
King David, my hero.
#88PraetorXynPosted 8/30/2013 6:58:55 AM
Psalm51 posted...
Ooppss...non-violent actually means non-lethal.

MIB's were such a pain to deal with that way.

I recently played through it again with the Shifter mod, so I found it much more enjoyable to go thrugh the game stealth pistol sniping everyone :)
---
#89Psalm51Posted 8/30/2013 7:19:39 AM
Yes, the MiB were a pain. I used the tranquilizer ammo in the cross-bow for my play through.
---
King David, my hero.
#90PraetorXynPosted 8/30/2013 7:53:43 AM
Psalm51 posted...
Yes, the MiB were a pain. I used the tranquilizer ammo in the cross-bow for my play through.

There's a perfect spot where you can hit MiB's with the stun baton and they'll go down in one hit. It's like right above their waist, on their back. That's what I was referring to because it's annoying to hit.
---