This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My power supply isn't working!!!

#21ShubPosted 8/28/2013 5:44:46 AM
Yeah, that's why combos with crappy units should be avoided :)
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#22_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/28/2013 5:46:53 AM
Did flip the switch and turn it on?
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#23O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 5:47:07 AM
Shub posted...
Yeah, that's why combos with crappy units should be avoided :)

It's whatever, I got it for now. The best thing that I've finally realized about building your own computer, I don't need to have everything high tech at first. Just need to build it and upgrade later.
---
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Orlando Magic - Off-Season
#24ShubPosted 8/28/2013 5:48:15 AM
That's debatable... a bad power supply can damage your components. As a rule of thumb, if you can't afford a good power supply, you can't afford a computer.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#25O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 5:51:17 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
Did flip the switch and turn it on?

Yeah, it wasn't working that way. Turns out I didn't plug the power switch in deep enough to the motherboard.
---
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
#26O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 5:52:12 AM
Shub posted...
That's debatable... a bad power supply can damage your components. As a rule of thumb, if you can't afford a good power supply, you can't afford a computer.

The power supply was like $50 alone and it had really good reviews, I highly doubt it's that bad.
---
#27KaushadPosted 8/28/2013 5:56:42 AM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
Shub posted...

The power supply was like $50 alone and it had really good reviews, I highly doubt it's that bad.

Depending on the quality... you should spend about 80 dollars on a PSU, sticking to good brands(Corsair, seasonic, cooler master[some say it isn't, but mine has worked great].)
---
I stopped watching comedy on TV when I found the jimquisition and zero punctuation.
#28Fade2black001Posted 8/28/2013 6:01:35 AM
Kaushad posted...
O_Town_Rulez posted...
Shub posted...

Depending on the quality... you should spend about 80 dollars on a PSU, sticking to good brands(Corsair, seasonic, cooler master[some say it isn't, but mine has worked great].)

80 bucks?!? I don't think so You get get nice good brand named quality ones for 30.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#29ShubPosted 8/28/2013 6:12:46 AM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
Shub posted...

The problem with PSU reviews is that most people don't know the first thing about PSUs, so when they post a review, it's either 5 stars because "it works" (even though it could be providing crappy power unbeknownst to the user), or 1 star because it was dead on arrival, or perhaps 4 stars because it works but makes a noise... that sort of stuff. It's still a pretty crappy unit in the grand scheme of things.

Kaushad posted...

$80 is excessive as a "should spend" recommendation... there are plenty of great $50-60 units, and there are often rebates on good units that bring some of them down to the $20-40 price range. At $80 you'll either be paying for additional wattage, which you may or may not need, or higher quality, which often raises the TCO with no tangible benefit (past a certain point).
---
-What is best in life?