This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Second Life is now on Desura

#1j_coatPosted 8/27/2013 8:01:19 PM
Looks like Linden Labs is now starting to leave its mark on the site it just bought.
---
Check out a slightly newer version of Universal Wars!
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5169
#2KilronPosted 8/27/2013 8:24:47 PM
Pretty sure they had at least Patterns on there before now, so this isn't the first Linden game on there.
---
A duck walks into a doctor's office and says, "Quack!"
#3arleasPosted 8/27/2013 8:36:17 PM
Normally I'd be pretty mad at the thought of a shoddy company buying up a product and potentially ruining it, but at the same time, I've seen and used desura... it's nothing to write home about. (Not that anyone writes home about anything anymore).

I'd say as long as the rest of Desura is business as usual (as far as indie games are concerned) then it's no big deal... But if we start seeing "potential competitors" kicked off the service, then that'll spell the beginning of the end.

Then again, is anyone actually trying to compete for whatever genre second life is in? I haven't looked at Second life in a long long time but the last time I saw it, it looked like garbage and seemed to attract all the freaks...I've probably spent all of 1 hour on the service in the last 10 years though...
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/28/2013 12:21:08 AM
I heard about second life.

To me, it does not seem like a game. Just a way to escape and waste time.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#5KilronPosted 8/28/2013 11:51:46 AM
arleas posted...
Normally I'd be pretty mad at the thought of a shoddy company buying up a product and potentially ruining it, but at the same time, I've seen and used desura... it's nothing to write home about. (Not that anyone writes home about anything anymore).

I'd say as long as the rest of Desura is business as usual (as far as indie games are concerned) then it's no big deal... But if we start seeing "potential competitors" kicked off the service, then that'll spell the beginning of the end.

Then again, is anyone actually trying to compete for whatever genre second life is in? I haven't looked at Second life in a long long time but the last time I saw it, it looked like garbage and seemed to attract all the freaks...I've probably spent all of 1 hour on the service in the last 10 years though...

People still use Second Life all the time. I personally don't touch it and don't like it, but I recognize a lot of people not only play it, they still make items for it too.

But I don't really see them keeping competitors off of there. If that were going to happen, they would have kicked all Minecraft style games off the service and made Patterns the only game in town. (Though maybe they don't care as much about games they only publish? I wouldn't know)
---
A duck walks into a doctor's office and says, "Quack!"