This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

iyo, how important is Total War multiplayer?

#1TastyKittyMMMMPosted 8/27/2013 9:19:52 PM
like I wanna get into Shogun 2 because the whole concept intrigues me, but Rome 2 is releasing soon. So I'm in this situation where I kinda wanna play Shogun 2's single player and skip the multiplayer (if only because I feel most multiplayer users will have skipped to Rome 2)

will I be missing out by doing this? Is the single player campaign the true meat and bones of this franchise or is it the multiplayer? Would I be better off skipping to Rome 2?
#2CacciatoPosted 8/27/2013 9:31:10 PM(edited)
I have put close to 1000 hours into the series over the last several years and have literally never been in one multiplayer match. The closest I've came is watching a few of the PrinceofMacedon's (think that's his name) videos on YouTube.

Also, you may have just missed it, but Steam had a franchise sale earlier with all of the games for $22. I don't know if it's still going on though.
#3TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 9:33:35 PM
So the campaign is generally well made?
#4CacciatoPosted 8/27/2013 9:38:12 PM(edited)
The campaign is generally the whole point of the game. The development of all the user-made mods over the years is a testament to that. The campaign has enough variation (to me at least) through difficulty levels and different factions to keep me entertained.

I've been looking around since I posted in here earlier to see if I read it somewhere, but I think in Rome II you'll actually be able to play a multiplayer campaign, in addition to battles.

I guess, if you could only get one, I would wait for Rome II if I were you.
#5SpaceMarineZackPosted 8/27/2013 9:42:45 PM
Have over 200 hours on Shogun 2 Singleplayer, just recently tried to get into MP but could only find battle with low funds or get kicked because of my low rank. Been playing these games since 2005 and have to say I spent more time playing Rome Total war because of the mods like EB.
#6TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 9:43:56 PM
Nah, I'd be fine with getting both Shogun 2 and Rome 2. Perhaps even Empire, not so sure about that yet. Medieval and Napoleon don't interest me so much, though. I was just confused because a lot of fans seem to regard the single player as sort of throwaway for some reason.