This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Changing a "sticky" IP from Comcast?

#1Mystical_NEETPosted 8/28/2013 6:31:43 AM
Hi, I was recently banned from some site on my home IP (not GameFAQs). I can get around the ban via proxy, so the ban itself isn't an issue. But the site has this nice little "banned" page where anyone who accesses the site from this IP can see what the ban was for, meaning anyone in my home who accesses the site to post will see it. This is VERY problematic for a variety of reasons... the post was made in jest but conveys some possibly offensive beliefs, which I would rather not explain to loved ones.

I have tried unplugging my modem, but to no avail. What do? Posted here because we all know the Tech Support board is dead.

Lol, sticky? Don't you mean static?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address#Sticky_dynamic_IP_address
#2Ch3wyPosted 8/28/2013 6:33:26 AM
Rub Vaseline on your modem.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3Orestes417Posted 8/28/2013 6:36:23 AM
Short version is you don't. Long version is you could try calling comcast and asking nicely.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#4Lonestar2000Posted 8/28/2013 6:46:22 AM
Change the MAC address of the WAN port on your router.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#5Mystical_NEET(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 7:00:04 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...

Does it need to be anything special, or can I just clone the one from the computer?
#6Davel23Posted 8/28/2013 7:17:16 AM
Mystical_NEET posted...
Lonestar2000 posted...

Does it need to be anything special, or can I just clone the one from the computer?

You can change it to whatever you want, it's not going to change your public IP. To get a new public IP you'd have to change the MAC of your cable modem. Good luck with that.
---
Your mom's box.