This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question on Video Out for Graphics Card vs Motherboard

#1razidPosted 8/28/2013 5:42:58 AM
So my computer is on the other side of the room from my TV, and sometimes I want to hook it up to my TV to watch streaming videos and such. The problem is, my graphics card only has DVI out, so if I hook it up to my TV then I don't get any sound and I don't want to move the speaker system from my computer to the TV because that would be a hassle to do all the time.

However, my motherboard has an HDMI out. So my question is what will happen if I use the HDMI out from my motherboard to the TV? Will that even work, since my graphics card is still hooked up to the motherboard? If I wanted to play a game, then would that work, because I would need to use the graphics card for the game?

Just wanted to ask before I invest in a long HDMI cord. Thanks in advance!
---
"Oh, I may be on the side of the angels... but don't think for one second that I am one of them." -Sherlock
#2DragnfyrPosted 8/28/2013 5:58:45 AM(edited)
If you use the motherboard output then you will be using integrated graphics.
I would say just get a Chromecast if the videos you want to stream are supported by it.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
#3razid(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 5:58:45 AM
Ok, so it should be fine for streaming videos but not for games I'm guessing?
---
"Oh, I may be on the side of the angels... but don't think for one second that I am one of them." -Sherlock
#4fataliPosted 8/28/2013 7:21:40 AM
Yes, it'll be fine for videos.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#5SinisterSlayPosted 8/28/2013 7:28:48 AM
What's your video card.

I'm fairly certain all video cards since 2007 allow you to use a DVI to HDMI adapter. And newer cards even have sound cards built into them so you get sound over HDMI.

You can also do what I did, and buy a splitter for your audio lines (3 bucks) and run a longer cable to the TV.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6Saber_DarkPosted 8/28/2013 7:34:12 AM(edited)
Does your tv not have audio in? Just use two cables?

Also converting the cable to HDMI doesn't magically add the audio signal...
#7SinisterSlayPosted 8/28/2013 7:42:07 AM
Saber_Dark posted...
Does your tv not have audio in? Just use two cables?

Also converting the cable to HDMI doesn't magically add the audio signal...

Didn't read my whole post?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8razid(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 7:55:05 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
What's your video card.

I'm fairly certain all video cards since 2007 allow you to use a DVI to HDMI adapter. And newer cards even have sound cards built into them so you get sound over HDMI.

You can also do what I did, and buy a splitter for your audio lines (3 bucks) and run a longer cable to the TV.

Nah I've tried the DVI to HDMI adapter before but no sound came through. I have a GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB.

As for the audio in, oh geez, I'm trying to remember what inputs I have. I think it only has HDMI in and Component In, so no Red Yellow White In. And they would be on different inputs anyway so how would that work?
---
#9SinisterSlayPosted 8/28/2013 8:04:49 AM(edited)
razid posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
What's your video card.

Nah I've tried the DVI to HDMI adapter before but no sound came through. I have a GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB.

As for the audio in, oh geez, I'm trying to remember what inputs I have. I think it only has HDMI in and Component In, so no Red Yellow White In. And they would be on different inputs anyway so how would that work?

If you have a 9800, you need to open up your case, there should be two pins on the side of the card.
These are for audio.
There should be a matching two pins on your board (check your manual) that you connect to. This will allow your video card to send the audio from your system over HDMI.
This is what I used to use on my 9600gt.

-Edit
This guide looks pretty good. My Video card came with the cables for this. I just had to check my manual to see where to attach them to my board.
http://www.overclock.net/t/441176/guide-8800gt-9800gt-9800gtx-sound-over-hdmi-now-including-creative-cards
---