This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rate this guy's build/10

#1Sparta19Posted 8/28/2013 9:41:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33_YzbaDuoI

Simply put, rate this guy's PC build based on overall quality. Before anyone asks, yes, I am thinking of building one similar to his.

If anyone remembers I made a help topic here last week regarding on purchasing a new laptop, but i'm thinking of listening to the people who said "buy a PC instead" and the build in the video not only looks good to my rookie eyes, but it's also very much affordable (I was willing to spend 1k-1.2k on a laptop).

Also, I am aware his build does not include an OS, so i'll keep that in mind when calculating costs.
---
And on the 8th day God said "Let there be fivehead!" and it was good. - wonderbreadman
#2OldSorrowPosted 8/28/2013 9:56:15 AM
what ever you do, get a fractal design r4 window
#3CuvvviePosted 8/28/2013 9:56:30 AM
Kind of a cheap PSU brand but it's not too bad. Wattage is fine. GPU is a bit weak, especially with the 3570k. The CPU won't bottleneck any single GPU so feel free to get something more expensive. And the case is also a made by a brand I wouldn't recommend for cases, but it's not an awful choice. Would be a good idea to also get an SSD for the OS, you won't regret it.
---
3570K 4.2 ~ 6950 CF ~ 8GB 1600 CL7 ~ P8Z77-V ~ AX760 ~ 550D
#4Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 10:17:46 AM(edited)
So far I am not surprised by the responses, as long as it's decent for it's price I will go for something similar, besides, the beauty of a PC is I can upgrade freely so that is compelling enough.

If there are any parts that should definitely be upgraded from his list, please feel free to speak up. I don't need a ground-breaking build so high end parts aren't a necessity, if I was to name a game I plan on playing it would probably be FF14:RR, but i'm not necessarily a graphics maniac, playing on mid settings are fine with me.
---
And on the 8th day God said "Let there be fivehead!" and it was good. - wonderbreadman
#5PhilOnDezPosted 8/28/2013 10:44:38 AM
I'm on my phone so I can't check out the vid but if you want to play mmos (or minecraft/Starcraft 2) an unlocked i5, I had to OC to 4.4 to get my main FTB world at a solid 60 fps.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6strongo9Posted 8/28/2013 10:50:59 AM
The CPU and mobo are overkill for a rig with only a 650 ti (he didn't even opt for the 650 ti boost) in it.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#7Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 10:56:04 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
I'm on my phone so I can't check out the vid but if you want to play mmos (or minecraft/Starcraft 2) an unlocked i5, I had to OC to 4.4 to get my main FTB world at a solid 60 fps.

Is that at mid or max settings?

Also I found all the parts on Newegg (with a different motherboard and a blu-ray combo optical drive though) and the total before taxes and shipping was approx. $1050 (I live in Canada so naturally some parts were more expensive than usual),

Add in an OS (Windows 7 Home Premium) and that's another 99.99 onto the bill, so with shipping and everything i'm looking at 1200-1300 dollars for this build.

Alright guys, considering this price is the same budget I had for a new laptop, tell me if all this is worth it or not, and if you can, go ahead and make some adjustments for quality, price or both.

p.s. I'm not in a rush to assemble all of this in one go, I can save up and buy these piece by piece (that's assuming it's worth to build a PC and not just get a laptop)
---
#8Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 11:00:48 AM
strongo9 posted...
The CPU and mobo are overkill for a rig with only a 650 ti (he didn't even opt for the 650 ti boost) in it.

I see where this is going, and I like it, this is why I made the topic. I'm going to go ahead and make my spending cap limit $1400 (the total cost of my original laptop), so if degrading some parts in the list and upgrading some parts needs to be done, go ahead and recommend it.
---
#9r0ge00Posted 8/28/2013 11:09:08 AM
TC, I would make a new topic stating that you need a desktop with a hard cap of $1400. List the things you need like OS and whatever and any parts you're considering. You'll probably end up with a completely different build. You should be ready to pull the trigger right away because prices change daily and what was $1390 today, may be $1475 tomorrow. If Shub, Snuckie7, or gastaman give you advice, you should take it.
#10Reaper_MinionPosted 8/28/2013 11:09:52 AM
For $1400 you can buy a GTX 770 or an HD 7970, add more and better RAM (if needed), and a 128GB SSD. I suggest the new Samsung 840 Evo. Also, you can replace the mobo/CPU with a Haswell and a decent Z87 mobo without spending more.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY