This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need serious help removing Linux Mint from my laptop

#1SHAOLINSLUMLORDPosted 8/28/2013 10:20:25 AM
I put Linux on my laptop because I have never tried it before, and wanted to see what it was like. Now, I would like to switch back to Windows 7, because a few programs I use aren't friendly with Linux.

Problem is I can't figure out how to wipe my laptops drive, and I have exhausted all Google searches.

Thanks for your time
---
I have nothing left to give, and nothing left to take away.
#2Ch3wyPosted 8/28/2013 10:23:12 AM
Make sure you don't wipe the bootloader like I did.

Did you install it on a separate partition than windows or did you get rid of WIndows completely when you installed it?
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3SHAOLINSLUMLORD(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 10:25:48 AM
Removed windows completely, and I don't know what a bootloader is
---
#4Ch3wyPosted 8/28/2013 10:29:34 AM
OK well you should be able to just boot up with a windows install disk then and install Windows over it through that.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#5SlaynPosted 8/28/2013 10:46:24 AM
Ch3wy posted...
OK well you should be able to just boot up with a windows install disk then and install Windows over it through that.

---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#6New LinkPosted 8/28/2013 1:43:12 PM(edited)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

^^ that will wipe out everything.

Honestly though if you're new to the linux-world you should really start with dual-booting both operating systems until you figure out how to get everything done on linux.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#7SHAOLINSLUMLORD(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 4:45:52 PM
Yeah I realize now that I am way over my head. Do I just type this in the terminal?
---
#8New LinkPosted 8/28/2013 7:37:46 PM
SHAOLINSLUMLORD posted...
Yeah I realize now that I am way over my head. Do I just type this in the terminal?

It will wipe out your whole disk if you do.. MBR, every operating system, etc. Is windows still installed?
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#9LaMichael_JamesPosted 8/28/2013 10:25:38 PM
i just did this a while back, but i did it from the windows side since i wanted to revert the bootloader from grub back to windows

if you're not dualbooting, use gparted on usb/dvd to wipe linux off and then install windows again. you can do the partitioning when installing win7 but i'm used to using gparted for hdd partitioning
---
GOAT
#10Black_King945Posted 8/28/2013 11:08:57 PM
Do you have windows recovery media for your particular model of computer? Most likely when you installed linux you formatted the included recovery partition which would allow you to reinstall windows without an OS disc.

What make and model PC do you have?
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W