This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Build-a-PC! GFaqs PC Board vers. (Secret help topic)

#11gsf4lyfePosted 8/28/2013 11:53:05 AM
FuRiOuS 198774623 posted...
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

I'd just take the Excellent build from here. It'll probably be able to max out FF14. Get the 760 instead of the 7950, IMO.

That website is a decent jumping off point, but there isn't a single build on that site that couldn't be improved upon for the same price.
---
FX-6300 @ 4.3ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#12Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 11:55:21 AM
That's a great list, thanks gastman, the only things at first glance I would do is remove the SSD for now and change the OS to Windows 7 (I hate 8). Other than that you guys have been helpful, thanks a lot, much appreciated. Now we can let this thread die.
---
And on the 8th day God said "Let there be fivehead!" and it was good. - wonderbreadman
#13Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 11:55:34 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#14r0ge00Posted 8/28/2013 12:15:39 PM(edited)
Sparta19 posted...
That's a great list, thanks gastman, the only things at first glance I would do is remove the SSD for now and change the OS to Windows 7 (I hate 8). Other than that you guys have been helpful, thanks a lot, much appreciated. Now we can let this thread die.

I would downgrade the CPU cooler before you cut the SSD. The Swiftech H220 is very nice, but it's more than your build needs. You could do just fine with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO or one of the mid range air coolers.

Additionally, unless you have specific plans to SLI/Crossfire down the line, you can drop the PSU down to a 550W XFX or Seasonic unit.
#15gastamanPosted 8/28/2013 12:54:22 PM(edited)
r0ge00 posted...
Sparta19 posted...

I would downgrade the CPU cooler before you cut the SSD. The Swiftech H220 is very nice, but it's more than your build needs. You could do just fine with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO or one of the mid range air coolers.

Additionally, unless you have specific plans to SLI/Crossfire down the line, you can drop the PSU down to a 550W XFX or Seasonic unit.

I don't think he's cutting the SSD to save on cost. I think he just doesn't want one right now, cause even with the H220 and the SSD, the cost still falls right around his budget.

Also, for the PSU, it's just me, but I always leave enough headroom for SLi/CFX, just in case. Besides, I was really looking at fully modular PSU's, since his budget allows for one and the cheapest SeaSonic 500w fully modular PSU is $175 (twice the cost). The cheapest SeaSonic 500w semi-modular PSU is $87 (saves you $2). XFX doesn't appear to have any 500w PSU's that are modular, semi or full.

The reviews I've read on the EVGA unit are good and it has good features, for the price it is selling for at the moment.

Edit: Also, cheapest Corsair 500w semi-modular PSU is $80 (saves you $10) and they don't appear to have a fully modular one (although the cheapest fully modular one I saw was the AX650 for $100).

EVGA doesn't make a 500w version and their 650w version of the PSU is the same price as the 750w version at the moment.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#16r0ge00Posted 8/28/2013 12:56:25 PM(edited)
gastaman posted...
I don't think he's cutting the SSD to save on cost.

That would be a silly reason not to get one. It's a pain in the butt to install one later and migrate all your stuff over.

Also, I was thinking of the 550W Bronze unit that you can get for under $60. Mostly just tossing options out there.
#17gastamanPosted 8/28/2013 1:05:36 PM(edited)
r0ge00 posted...
gastaman posted...
I don't think he's cutting the SSD to save on cost.

That would be a silly reason not to get one. It's a pain in the butt to install one later and migrate all your stuff over.

Also, I was thinking of the 550W Bronze unit that you can get for under $60. Mostly just tossing options out there.

I agree, which is why I put it in my build suggestion. He has the budget to include one. But I'm not the one making the decision and it isn't my build, so it doesn't really affect me enough to care.

As for the PSU, I only see one XFX 550w unit that is cheaper than the PSU I chose (All the SeaSonic ~500w PSU's are more expensive or the same price, modular or not). Good unit, but for the budget he is working with, he can easily afford the 750w, 80 Plus Gold, fully modular EVGA instead of the 550w, 80 Plus Bronze, not modular at all XFX. If the EVGA unit was crap, I'd agree with you, but it's a pretty good unit, from what I've read. Price difference of only $32 Canadian.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#18Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 4:25:48 PM(edited)
Hey guys, I hate to revive this topic, but i'm ready to start ordering, and after reading these comments I will also get a SSD with the build.

I just want to know, since i'm buying progressively, what parts do you recommend to buy RIGHT NOW. I want to know which I should buy first; the parts that are not too prone to price increases/decreases in the future.

I am willing to spend 200-400 for my first order (I got to keep some money for bills coming up). I am somewhat expecting someone to tell me to just save the money until i'm ready to pull the trigger all at once, so if that is absolutely necessary, I may do that, but I would prefer to gather the parts in portions.
---
And on the 8th day God said "Let there be fivehead!" and it was good. - wonderbreadman
#19dakondakbladePosted 8/29/2013 4:33:18 PM
Sparta where about in Canada do you live?

If you live in Toronto there's Canada Computers ( Which has pretty decent prices for parts )

I've bought parts from them for 6 years now; and find the pricing decent and service great. I've helped friends pick out parts from there as well; and we've had no issues.

If you live near me ( or close to ) there's always Dundas/College and Spadina. That's pretty much " Computer city "

There are at least 10 decent computer stores there; and Canada Computers is located there as well.

NCIX is located in Etobicoke and B.C; as is Newegg ( The Canadian Version )

Send me a PM with the parts you chose; and I'll look around tomorrow / tonight to find you the best place to get parts from ( Of course this depends where you live )
---
Until you can stop death herself, I will ignore you like I would the ants beneath my feet
#20Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 7:10:44 PM
I don't live in Toronto, and i'm going to order all of my parts online. I'm simply asking what parts are smart to buy right now to prevent any noticeable price changes in the future. Should I get the CPU first? The MB? Maybe somehow RAM are more prone to price increases? Should I just wait until I have all of the money and buy everything in one go?

That's all i'm asking.
---