This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a right/wrong time to get a new PC?

#1Ocelot RisingPosted 8/28/2013 1:02:09 PM
I've had this old bucket since about 2007. It's doing admirably well still, but it can't last forever.

I wouldn't mind getting a new PC soon as I've recently got a little more money from work as I've been doing extra hours.

But I'm just wondering if this isn't the best time. With next-gen consoles around the corner, it might make sense to wait a bit so I can get a good spec PC that will be able to consistently match or outperform those consoles? I'm sure what's already available will be able to at least match them, but maybe the prices will drop or something when the consoles are out in the mainstream?

Anything I get will have to last me many years so I'm just trying to make the right choice here.

Any advice is appreciated!
---
kozublue
#2TalksPosted 8/28/2013 2:00:05 PM
Right now. The current mid range hardware will already outlast the next-gen console hardware. Things aren't particularly expensive at the moment.
---
http://i.imgur.com/gBllw.jpg
#3Knight2520Posted 8/28/2013 2:04:02 PM
maybe the prices will drop or something when the consoles are out in the mainstream?

Not really how that works.
---
I have very little time for the Internet now and I'm not even a millionaire yet. - Krycek18
#4Kingmichael1337Posted 8/28/2013 2:09:06 PM
i think there is a wrong time, but it's difficult to tell when it is

if i had waited a month or so, i could've gotten a graphics card on par with what i have now for $60 less. or, for $40 more, i could've had a 7970, which is a lot better. i figured, "i don't need a better video card; i'm only playing at 1080p anyway." well, my gtx 760 is great for most games, but there are a lot of much newer games i wish i could max out at 1080p and get 60 fps, but i can't..
---
I'M GAY.
#5EStar999Posted 8/28/2013 2:10:05 PM
There are various things that I need to point out:

If you are concerned about pricing, then September-November is the best time to purchase parts. The closer you get to November, the chances of finding good sales increases.

As for the video card, it depends on which side you are going to choose. AMD is scheduled to release the HD 9000 series this fall, while Nvidia is set to release the 800 series (based on the next architecture; Maxwell) in Q1 2014.

If you choose to also do video editing, pick Nvidia. if you are only going to use it for gaming, then AMD is your choice.
#6reincarnator07Posted 8/28/2013 2:14:27 PM
I find the best time is a little while after a hardware release e.g. a month after Haswell launched. Older stuff goes down in price a little, newer stuff is around long enough to spot any problems.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#7AsucaHayashiPosted 8/28/2013 2:22:31 PM
Anything I get will have to last me many years.

this is the problem right here.

to last as along as possible you make your money last as long as possible and you don't really get to do that by blowing something like $500~ on a gpu that should last 5+years but go for the best price:performance upgrades every 2-3 years... ie. you get far better mileage from spending $250 right now and then upgrade 2-3 years with another $250.

of course, if you're spending sub-$1000 then i guess whatever you get is considered the best price:performance.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#8Ocelot Rising(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 4:13:44 PM
Talks posted...
Right now. The current mid range hardware will already outlast the next-gen console hardware. Things aren't particularly expensive at the moment.

So that's really it? Anything I get that's even mid-range now will outlast next gen consoles?

So really, there's nothing technologically revolutionary about the next gen consoles then. I mean, like I say I got this mid-range PC in 2007, a year or two after the current-gen consoles were out and it kept pace with them more or less.

I guess this means it took a year or two for mid-range PC hardware to surpass the consoles. Has the scenery changed that much since then, so that the mid-range now - before the next gen is even released - is superior to it?
---
kozublue
#9bluemooglePosted 8/28/2013 5:15:25 PM
Yes, I would say next gen will be different than current gen as far as consoles vs. computers. Regarding parts, keep in mind that both the PS4 and XB1 will be using slightly modified versions of AMD APUs, which the current intel chips handily trump. A dedicated desktop graphics card is also superior to the console APUs, which are roughly on par with current laptop GPUs. Lastly, most gaming PCs will have 8 GB of RAM + another 2-3 GB on the video card. Compare this to a solitary unified 8 GB on the PS4.

That said, the difference in power was pretty similar last gen. Mid-range computers were numerically better back then, too, but it wasn't obvious due to the notorious "console optimization." Personally, I don't see that being applicable this gen, since both the PS4 and XB1 are running the same architecture as PCs. There's no funky CPUs to specifically code for, it's just another x86 CPU. Any "optimization" done for the PS4 or XB1 should be applicable to PCs as well, with a possible exception being proprietary APIs from Sony or MS being superior to DirectX. I kinda doubt it.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.