This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8 is the 1st time i have turned off updates

#11DV8ingSourcesPosted 8/28/2013 2:14:47 PM
gastaman posted...
This is far better than the process was in Windows 7.

While I mostly agree, having an option to override the restart for 4 hours like in win vista/7 would be nice for the odd time you may need it. Have it as a 1 time only option to avoid the constant delaying sure, but don't tell me when I can and can't use my pc. Like you said though, its very infrequent and not all that much of a bother so I have no qualms dealing with it.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#12GynthaeresPosted 8/28/2013 2:16:29 PM
I've seen a couple complaints about this. It's kind of strange to me. Do you people never turn off your PC, and at the same time, leave updates set to automatic?

In every computer I've owned where I could, I always set updates to "Notify me". Then I install them when I know I'm going to be shutting down my computer soon. Windows 8 is no different... I've never had it actually force-restart my computer; updates have always been installed, and it's always been shut down, on my schedule. Just like every other computer I've used.

So I really don't understand this complaint.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#13gastamanPosted 8/28/2013 2:19:29 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
gastaman posted...
This is far better than the process was in Windows 7.

While I mostly agree, having an option to override the restart for 4 hours like in win vista/7 would be nice for the odd time you may need it. Have it as a 1 time only option to avoid the constant delaying sure, but don't tell me when I can and can't use my pc. Like you said though, its very infrequent and not all that much of a bother so I have no qualms dealing with it.

Yeah, I do agree. It would be nice to have that option. But I find that because the restarts are less frequent, it isn't unbearable, imo.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#14gastamanPosted 8/28/2013 2:22:57 PM(edited)
Gynthaeres posted...
Do you people never turn off your PC, and at the same time, leave updates set to automatic?

This is actually what I do.

Edit: In Windows 7, I had it set to download but let me choose when to install, but with Windows 8, the restarts are so few and far between, that I don't bother.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#15DV8ingSourcesPosted 8/28/2013 2:21:39 PM
^As mentioned I shut down my pc every night for the most part. You sometimes get a warning while logging in that you need to restart your pc within a couple days but that doesn't include shutting your pc down. You actually have to restart the pc. Its only happened to me twice since release but that's twice too many times. Why can't it just do what it needs to do during a normal shutdown reboot cycle?

It's because windows 8 cheats its shutdown in order to boot so fast. A windows 8 restart will generally take longer than a shutdown/reboot cycle due to the way it loads its system files. A shutdown takes a snapshot of needed files for next reboot, while restart loads everything fresh once again. What I'd prefer is if it NEEDS a restart, just tag the next os reboot as a restart instead. Should be simple to implement.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#16El MagnificoPosted 8/28/2013 2:30:12 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
^As mentioned I shut down my pc every night for the most part. You sometimes get a warning while logging in that you need to restart your pc within a couple days but that doesn't include shutting your pc down. You actually have to restart the pc. Its only happened to me twice since release but that's twice too many times. Why can't it just do what it needs to do during a normal shutdown reboot cycle?

It's because windows 8 cheats its shutdown in order to boot so fast. A windows 8 restart will generally take longer than a shutdown/reboot cycle due to the way it loads its system files. A shutdown takes a snapshot of needed files for next reboot, while restart loads everything fresh once again. What I'd prefer is if it NEEDS a restart, just tag the next os reboot as a restart instead. Should be simple to implement.

I shut down my PC every night and I've never seen that required reboot message on the lock screen. The updates are always installed when I shut down or before Windows boots to the lock screen. Sometimes it'll automatically reboot when it's doing the pre-boot install, but that doesn't impact me anyway since that's before I get to the lock screen. I only see that warning on the PC I hibernate after usage instead of shutting down.
#17DiviDudePosted 8/28/2013 3:05:26 PM(edited)
PathlessBullet posted...
DiviDude posted...
This is the part where people tell you with all sorts of warped un-logic that Windows 8 doesn't actually force you to restart your computer. Even though it does.

You seem to be the only one doing so.

I pre-emptively embarrassed them into not posting! Don't you see! That's the internet!
#18Golden MavenPosted 8/28/2013 3:17:22 PM
Here's what you do. Set updates to manual. Then, when you're good and ready to restart, check for updates and download. After installation, reboot. Done. Always on your schedule. No need to whine like a little baby.

Oh wait, the last part is desirable to some of you.