This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rampant abuse of lighting.

#21claytonbuckleyPosted 8/29/2013 4:28:03 AM
Topic about lighting and i have to post this?

SHAMFRUL DISPRAY!

http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Untitled-COD-Ghosts-Lighting.jpg
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/somonah/
#22KURRUPTORPosted 8/29/2013 7:07:49 AM(edited)
Sometimes those effects are good, sometimes not so much. It really just depends on the game design and if it was just thrown in or whether it was the game really paid attention to how they implemented it.

Many games just look better when turning certain effects like that down or off (if given the option) but that doesn't make it bad technology, there are many game out there that use it and make it look good.

The good games have bloom and similar visual tech but you won't really notice it. It's the games that just scream "HEY LOOK AT THESE BLOOM EFFECTS!!!!" that make it look crappy. The way it's meant to be used is for these effects to just accent the graphics, not be the main focus of the graphics.... which is what some devs think it should be.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#23Ch3wyPosted 8/29/2013 7:08:58 AM
I like lighting effects. I don't care if they're unrealistic.

Once everything else graphics wise becomes photorealistic maybe I'll start to care. But as for now they're not fooling me so might as well go on the artsy side of things.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#24DaLagga(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 11:48:58 AM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
Why don't you just complain about the bloom since that is the only thing overdone in your photos?

Take a chill pill and go play some Metro: Last Light or Tomb Raider, where the lighting is not abused but instead is very immersive.

Like I said, this is just one example. There's plenty of games that abuse the hell out of HDR and other visual features that make no sense when used in excess like DoF and motion blur. What I find especially ironic about DoF in some cases is that not only does it look terrible when abused (Far Cry 3 or Risen for example), but it can actually be very taxing on your system. I just don't understand why some developers spend time and money to program graphical "features" that not only hurt performance, but visual quality as well. Sure, there's games that do actually have proper lighting (Stalker, Metro, etc.), but unfortunately, most don't.

Ch3wy posted...
I like lighting effects. I don't care if they're unrealistic.

Once everything else graphics wise becomes photorealistic maybe I'll start to care. But as for now they're not fooling me so might as well go on the artsy side of things.

I don't really see how it's "artsy" to shine a flashlight in the players eyes at all times. My problem with some of this over the top lighting doesn't have anything to do with art. It has do to with the fact that it simply makes the game difficult to look at and harder to play.

For example, I died in Syndicate in the very first level because a guy was standing behind a bright light above me and I couldn't even see him. And even when I did finally spot him on my second attempt, it took a full clip to kill him because I could barely see his outline - much less track him while he was moving. A common military strategy has always been to make sure the sun is in your enemies eyes. Well, now I guess the strategy in some games is to make sure the bloom is in your opponents eyes.
#25ZukkusPosted 8/29/2013 12:08:23 PM
Many sci-fi things tend to overdo lighting. It's kind of a staple of the genre, and also crosses over into sci-fi movies.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss