This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to build a computer. Buy now or wait until holiday?

#1OtachiSwordXLPosted 8/28/2013 3:37:18 PM
I'm making the jump back into pc gaming and after my horrendous, absolutely horrid experience with an alien ware, I'm never going pre built again. I have a budget of about $900 and I guess the question is; is it financially sound to buy now or would I get deals worth waiting for around the holiday season (Christmas. Black Friday. Cyber Monday)?

I don't have a lot of experience with how the prices of parts fluctuate so I don't know if it's that big of a difference. My initial idea was to just get it and then set myself up for some price drop notices on individual parts for the future when upgrading, hunting for the deal then.

On one hand I've waited a long time for a new computer so what is waiting a bit longer? On the other hand it seems technology is always in that "I could probably get something better for the same money in 4 months" sort of flux so what's the point of waiting? I'm really torn.

And before anyone asks; no I don't have anything in mind in particular as far as specifics for the computer. Just my budget. I figured it wasn't worth figuring out until I was deciding to buy because of how things change.
---
Zomg, Otachi too? BEST. ORGY. EVER. - Boldrin
I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions!
#2Golgamex123Posted 8/28/2013 3:39:02 PM
wait for the 9000 series from AMD in about a month or 2, then gogogogo
#3OtachiSwordXL(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 3:47:17 PM
Hypothetically by that logic won't there be another, superior series available in another two months from that? Cyclical.
---
#4MrMonkhousePosted 8/28/2013 3:53:57 PM
I say buy the main parts when they have promos going on such as the GPUs and CPUs. I got mines when they were offering Shogun 2 and Deux Ex for free with the card (6870).
---
http://i.imgur.com/r9pppzV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BcGVG.gif
#5OldSorrowPosted 8/28/2013 3:58:14 PM
Just build one when 8gb ram is $30 again
#6Auron_59261Posted 8/28/2013 4:03:31 PM
OtachiSwordXL posted...
Hypothetically by that logic won't there be another, superior series available in another two months from that? Cyclical.

Doubtful. Nvidia may put out some more lower end cards, but that's it until this time next year.

My vote goes to building when AMD releases the 99xx cards, supposedly in October.
---
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz [] HIS IceQ X^2 7970 |1200|1600|3GB| [] 16GB Ripjaws Z 1866 [] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [] 250GB Samsung 840 [] 2TB Barracuda [] CX 600 PSU [] H80i
#7OtachiSwordXL(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 6:02:45 PM
And now I see places doing labor day deals. Ugh. Self control is a *****. So the majority vote now is to wait it out another month until the 99xx. Although at that point maybe I should just wait until Cyber Monday. On another note though, technically, anything I get now would be more than capable for the next few years... Hmph.
---