This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Nvidia Shield worth looking into?

#11ggf162Posted 8/28/2013 6:43:34 PM(edited)
Honestly, if this thing supports the Google Play Store and has a micro-SD slot, this could replace my Wii for emulation.
---
My name is Ivan I like you
#12YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/28/2013 6:54:32 PM(edited)
ggf162 posted...
Honestly, if this thing supports the Google Play Store and has a micro-SD slot, this could replace my Wii for emulation.

http://www.willgoo.com/jxd-handhelds-c-67-page1.html?zenid=r3tgi8pqtdfd7oaljs0gql2m62

Or you could get any of those, preferably a dual core one, for 1/2 the cost or less.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#13CardigansFanPosted 8/28/2013 7:11:30 PM
YoungAdultLink posted...
http://www.willgoo.com/jxd-handhelds-c-67-page1.html?zenid=r3tgi8pqtdfd7oaljs0gql2m62

Or you could get any of those, preferably a dual core one, for 1/2 the cost or less.

And you get what you pay for. Good luck getting support if you have any issues. Or getting any Android updates. Or expecting the actual processors or screens to be any good. Getting a decent no-name Android device isn't an easy feat.

TC, if you're looking to stream Steam games to a mobile device, just about any modern Android phone is capable of it, for free, through Splashtop 2. It's basically lag-free (both visually and controller input), works with any game and video card, and leaves you with a device that is still useful outside of gaming. Not that the Shield is bad, but if you want emulation primarily as well as built-in input, then a used Xperia Play for ~$100 is still a good choice.

farigonti posted...
Anyone think they'll allow wifi streaming outside of the local wifi network eventually? That would kick ass.

I doubt it'll be any good at least until LTE-A comes around, or mobile data ping/latency is vastly reduced. I tried doing remote desktop over a strong 20Mbps LTE connection the other day, and couldn't really do much other than basic web/file browsing - too much of a delay in input otherwise.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Nexus 4 16GB White * Sharp Actius MM20 * AKA Magus77
#14PhilOnDezPosted 8/28/2013 7:35:30 PM
farigonti posted...
Anyone think they'll allow wifi streaming outside of the local wifi network eventually? That would kick ass.

You mean streaming your games to somewhere that isn't your own personal network via the internet? Not on the current device, at least not at full resolution with a playable latency.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#15ggf162Posted 8/28/2013 7:41:51 PM
CardigansFan posted...
Not that the Shield is bad, but if you want emulation primarily as well as built-in input, then a used Xperia Play for ~$100 is still a good choice.

I am well aware of this, and would get it if it wasn't a Rogers exclusive in Canada.
---
My name is Ivan I like you
#16GreenMage7Posted 8/28/2013 7:44:14 PM
It being worth looking into is entirely localized to the person buying.

If you are serious about getting one I would try to figure out a way to hold the device first and make sure it is right for you. I've heard the controller can be an acquired taste.

Also, you probably want a router capable of putting out a 5 GHz wireless signal if you intend to use the PC streaming features.
#17farigontiPosted 8/28/2013 10:05:15 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
farigonti posted...

You mean streaming your games to somewhere that isn't your own personal network via the internet? Not on the current device, at least not at full resolution with a playable latency.

Bummer. I would love to see that feature working.
---
FC= 3265-4867-8550
#18DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/28/2013 10:24:41 PM
Voelger posted...
Just the fact I can game in bed or on the couch! I want it but it doesn't support laptops :(

Not officially, but there are workarounds for this. Pretty sure someone had a hacked driver that does just that, and official support will certainly be in down the line, for 660M and better Kepler mobile GPUs.

It's a pretty awesome little device, but it's got a lot of launch hiccups.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64