This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel like Steam Early Access is a mess

#1TastyKittyMMMMPosted 8/28/2013 5:16:45 PM
For one thing, grouping Early Access games under "New Releases" is.... it's not necessarily false advertising because these games DO note that they're under development, but it's a lot of clutter. There should be a separate tab so all these games are kept away from New Releases until they're finished.

Then there's the more cynical view that since people are now paying for alpha/beta, devs have license to be even more lazy: take the money and run. Just say, "Eh well I've already got the money, why should I do anything but half-ass or possibly remove the remaining features of the game?" Just seems like it can very easily be abused.
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 8/28/2013 5:19:58 PM
A fool and his money are soon parted.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3TimePharaohPosted 8/28/2013 5:20:48 PM
Yea, it sucks that they removed their entire catalogue of games and the only ones they offer now are overpriced early releases
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#4TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 5:29:49 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Yea, it sucks that they removed their entire catalogue of games and the only ones they offer now are overpriced early releases

Are you.. uh... what? How does that have a thing to do with the issue at hand? Why do people come up with the most bizarre comebacks on the internet?
#5TimePharaohPosted 8/28/2013 5:30:31 PM
Oh my bad I assumed that's what they must have done otherwise they would be a stupid thing to complain about
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#6thatauthorPosted 8/28/2013 5:34:22 PM
From: TastyKittyMMMM | Posted: 8/28/2013 8:29:49 PM | #004
TimePharaoh posted...

Are you.. uh... what? How does that have a thing to do with the issue at hand? Why do people come up with the most bizarre comebacks on the internet?

TP is a troll. and for my bunghole.
---
Freud was right about this one. ~ NinjaKitsune
#7BogePosted 8/28/2013 5:36:52 PM
I agree completely, TC. I love the idea of early access. When Diablo 3 was in development and was being delayed again and again (no surprise there from Blizzard), I had a conversation with my brother on how I'd love to have an early release version that wasn't finished yet. My thoughts were "Why not?" I don't have to play the early access in it's unfinished state, but I can if I choose to. I have the option and that's better than not.

However, it does get confusing when a non-finished game is advertised the same as finished games. And I completely agree with the charging full price for them, collecting, and then running. I always think of Minecraft and how it was sold in an Alpha or Beta state and then Notch went off and abandoned Minecraft.

What this shows me is that these developers don't really care about their games, just the money they get from them which in the long run hurts the consumer.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#8KidInTheHallPosted 8/28/2013 5:38:04 PM
TP is right though, you guys complain too much, first of all you're not forced to buy it, second of all if you're upset that even though you choose not to buy it that they are still being offered on Steam then blame your fellow gamer because people are reading that it's not a full game and still choosing to purchase it.

And that of course is telling Steam that early access is successful.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#9BogePosted 8/28/2013 5:41:33 PM(edited)
TastyKittyMMMM posted...
TimePharaoh posted...

They have no class, no maturity. They're still in that mentality of a 3rd grader where picking on the little guy makes you popular. Unfortunately for us, they have a screen protecting their teeth from getting knocked out.

Seriously, I'm not a violent person by any means, but in my years of experience on the internet, particularly Gamefaqs forums, I would have knocked out a countless number of teeth from a countless number of deserving faces.

EDIT: thatauthor, not pointing fingers, but there just are a ton of comments that users make that are completely to get under someone's skin without justification.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#10arleasPosted 8/28/2013 5:48:50 PM
There should be a separate tab so all these games are kept away from New Releases until they're finished.

Do you just buy everything sight unseen the second it shows up under "new releases"? I don't. I would actually look at the store page to see if I was interested. When I do, I can see the words "early access" and if that bothered me I would just say "I think I can wait until final release".

Then there's the more cynical view that since people are now paying for alpha/beta, devs have license to be even more lazy: take the money and run. Just say, "Eh well I've already got the money, why should I do anything but half-ass or possibly remove the remaining features of the game?" Just seems like it can very easily be abused.

Since we're taking the cynical view, devs could always do this, and have in the past. There was this lame dev by the name of Nimblebit (usually they do phone games). They put up a game on steam, released it as a horrible unfinished buggy mess* (way back in 2009 before there was ever such a thing as "early access") and then rather than fix it, they just said f*** it and went back to making phone games, where if you pay 99 cents for a buggy piece of crap, you probably shrug it off as "oh well, that's 99 cents I'll never see again" and move on with your life.

Oh and more recently there was "War Z" which was so bad Steam had to pull the buggy unfinished mess...again, this was before "Early Access" was a thing and War Z was presented as a fully finished game.

According to the Steam FAQ page on Early Access, there's currently 43 Early Access titles.
http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq

It's a shame that Steam forces you to buy these games...

*this game was called "Zero Gear"... you can still buy it if you like.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png