This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help deciding what to upgrade to if I do upgrade: 760, 770 2GB, or 770 4GB.

#1Marioface5Posted 8/28/2013 7:04:16 PM
Right now I have a GTX 560 Ti, and it's been great, but with the new generation of consoles coming out and there already being framerate problems when running games at max settings (I only get around 30 fps in Far Cry 3, for example) I figure it's probably time to look into buying an upgrade. I'm not sure what to buy though, if I do upgrade, and need some help making this decision. For reference, I only plan on playing on a single 1920x1080 monitor, and my goal is to get 60 fps on max settings with few exceptions such as games like Crysis 3 where the requirements for that are insane.

The 760 is the card I was originally planning to go with. The $260 price is fairly reasonable, and it should be significantly better than my current card. However, if it's only going to last a year or two before I'm back to choosing between turning down settings or playing at a lower frame rate, I'm not sure that it would be the best choice in the long run.

The 770 is my other option. At $410 for the 2GB version it's a good $150 more than the 760, but from what I understand it would last a good three or four years before it stops maxing games out at 60 fps. I'm a little intimidated by the price, especially since I plan on buying a new case, a new hard drive, and an external hard drive soon, but it would be better to spend the extra $150 now than to spend another $260 in a year or two. There's also a 4GB version that costs $510, which is then nearly twice the price of the 760. If the extra memory is really worth it then I'll wait for a sale or price drop, but from what I've heard there's no way I'll need more than 2GB for just one monitor at 1920x1080. Still, I figured it was worth mentioning in case I'm wrong about that.

I looked at the 780, but $670 is way too much for me and from what I've read there's no reason to spend the money on it unless you have multiple monitors, a much higher resolution than what I'm using, or just really want to have the best you can get regardless of the cost. I'm not even considering getting a 780, but I wanted to mention it since I did look into it, however briefly.

The prices I've mentioned are based on what I've seen on Newegg, so if there's a place where the prices are lower please let me know. It's also worth mentioning that I don't plan on using SLI or whatever it is that allows you to run more than one card at a time, since I've heard a lot of stuff about that causing issues with some games. So what would be the best option for me? How long should each option last for maxing out games at 60 fps on a single 1920x1080 monitor? Is the price difference between the 770 and 760 worth it? Thank you for any and all help, I really appreciate it.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#22Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 8/28/2013 7:07:42 PM
Have you looked into the 7970? It's cheaper than the 770 for similar performance, and it has 3GB of memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

It also comes with a voucher for 3 free games which you can wait to redeem until next gen games come out since it's rumored you'll be able to get games like Watch Dogs and BF4.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#3GreenMage7Posted 8/28/2013 7:09:34 PM
If you are planning to stick with Nvidia and want you want to maintain 60 fps on reasonable games for the next several years, a 2GB Nvidia card would generally be fine for 1080p, and if you can afford the 770 it would be the most likely card to maintain this for a good amount of time.

Be aware that you are spending about 65% more for about 30% more performance however. If you are fine with that then it would probably be best for what you specifically mentioned. The 780 is really meant for higher resolutions for the most part.

If you are willing to wait a month or two for the new AMD cards to come out, it's likely that Nvidia will lower prices on their cards or come out with new, possibly superior versions of current cards to counter-act this so you may find more value then.
#4NicodimusPosted 8/28/2013 7:16:30 PM(edited)
I just finished my benchmarks with my new 770 (4gb) and compared to the results over my 760 (both cards as far overclocked as they were stable, with no voltage changes.) Here's the increase I got in fps:

Unigine Heaven (low @ 1440p) +31%
Unigine Heaven (ultra @ 1440p) +33%
Unigine Valley (low @ 1440p) +29%
Unigine Valley (ultra @1440p) +34%
Furmark @ 1440p +31%

Here is a GPU-Z comparison (the GPU-boost 2.0 makes the clocks even higher, but you get the idea):

http://i.imgur.com/dVHd3b4.jpg

I still think the 760 would be great at 1080p, but obviously it would need to be upgraded sooner. Or SLI'd, if you don't mind the 2GB limitation.

If you go with the 770 4gb, you can always pick up a second one for SLI in 6-18 months and you'd be set for a long time.

By the way, the best version of the 4gb 770 is the $449 Gigabyte version, not the $510 Classified. People like the way the Classified looks and all, but the fact is that the Gigabyte has the best cooling solution, and since GPU Boost 2.0 now depends on temps, it's also the most overclockable. According to GPU-Z, when I'm running under load, I get 1333 gHz on the clock and effective 7592 on the memory, and never go over 68C. Again, that's on stock voltage.

---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#5Marioface5(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 1:22:10 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'm going to go ahead and go with the Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB. Waiting a month or two for the AMD cards to release sounds like a good idea, and even if there's not a price drop I have a feeling that they'll do a deal with Batman: Arkham Origins like the one they're doing right now with Splinter Cell: Blacklist.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5