This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

NAS question.

#1squarenixfan119Posted 8/28/2013 11:16:55 PM
Actually, before I start, I am uncertain if it is a NAS that I need.

I am basically trying to see what solution I need for my networking question.

I have 2x 4TB HGST HDD's. I also have a large blu-ray collection, along with music and other data files that I want to be able to stream across multiple devices and computers in my office/home without having the storage tied to a single computer, so it can be accessed despite the status of either computer.

I recently just purchased the second drive, and the enclosure (My main computer is a laptop) I had for the first one just died on me. I expected the drive to go first. I have a N900 router, with a USB port. Apparently with that, it does not work for multiple devices at a time.

Basically I want to be able to RAID the drives to defend against data loss, and have the drive easily accessible to anyone on my network. My local Best Buy has a DLink DNS320L on sale for 80$, but apparently it requires specific formatting.

Oh, and of course, the best price per performance/quality would be preferred.

Thank you for any help.
---
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2705976737.png
#2SnipeStarPosted 8/29/2013 3:12:46 AM(edited)
came in expecting a question about illmatic.

left disappointed.
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#3Davel23Posted 8/29/2013 5:02:00 AM
The Dlink NAS will work fine. Just be aware if you set it up for RAID 1 with two 4 TB drives for data redundancy you'll only have a total of 4 TB space.
---
Your mom's box.
#4ShubPosted 8/29/2013 5:35:19 AM
Sounds like a NAS is what you need, yes.

squarenixfan119 posted...
Basically I want to be able to RAID the drives to defend against data loss,

Keep in mind RAID offers fault tolerance, not necessarily protection against data loss. That's what backups are for, and RAID is not a backup. If data went corrupt on one drive, RAID would just copy the corruption over, bit by bit, to the other drive.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5squarenixfan119(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 7:44:26 AM
Davel23 posted...
The Dlink NAS will work fine. Just be aware if you set it up for RAID 1 with two 4 TB drives for data redundancy you'll only have a total of 4 TB space.

Oh yeah, I understood that.

Shub posted...
Sounds like a NAS is what you need, yes.

squarenixfan119 posted...
Basically I want to be able to RAID the drives to defend against data loss,

Keep in mind RAID offers fault tolerance, not necessarily protection against data loss. That's what backups are for, and RAID is not a backup. If data went corrupt on one drive, RAID would just copy the corruption over, bit by bit, to the other drive.

Good to know, thanks for the response.

Excellent, just ordered. Hopefully this works out.
---
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2705976737.png
#6GabrielVanPosted 8/29/2013 8:58:06 AM(edited)
The DLink may do what you want, but I'm unsure about its quality and reliability. The best NAS setups are made by the companies that specialized in them, such as QNAP and Synology. For about twice the cost, you could get one of their low tier setups which provide much more robust functionality over the DLink. I would recommend something like this instead -

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Network-Attached/dp/B005YW7OLM/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Either way, did you say you're going to run USB from the NAS into the router? If so, I highly recommend the ethernet port instead. USB file transfer is significantly slower than ethernet lines.