This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First HTPC build, should I add my old video card or just use integrated graphics

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First HTPC build, should I add my old video card or just use integrated graphics
3 years ago#1
I just bought a few parts to build an HTPC. The CPU is a A6-5400K, AMD Radeon HD 7540D. I have an old video card lying around as well, a Radeon HD 4670 1GB that I could pop in there, but is there any benefit?

Granted, there will be little gaming on this computer. Mostly old emulators, maybe some indie games. But in general, is there a benefit to adding the card?

Thanks for the help :)
XBL - RottenToTheGore PSN - TheSuperSadist
www.last.fm/user/Vaccy
3 years ago#2
No, you should use the integrated graphics.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
3 years ago#3
Shub posted...
No, you should use the integrated graphics.

Thanks. So the 1gb of memory in the card isn't worth anything? I'm only putting 4gb of RAM in this build.
www.last.fm/user/Vaccy
3 years ago#4
Nah, the APU will do the job fine here. Just make sure you get DDR3 1866. It's not mandatory but it helps a lot with APU performance.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
3 years ago#5
Did you got for a mini ITX build? if so what motherboard did you use?
Buddha says He who is in Continuous Hell never dies. Longevity is a big hardship in Continuous Hell
3 years ago#6
SolidManifest posted...
Did you got for a mini ITX build? if so what motherboard did you use?

I had to use the ASRock FM2A85X-ITX because I wanted the 7 SATA ports. Only problem is that most cpu coolers won't work with it due to not being able to use a backplate.

But for now, I'll have a lot of free room in the case (Node 304) due to only having 2 HDs in there so I'm not too worried about the temps.
www.last.fm/user/Vaccy
3 years ago#7
Cant hurt to use the dedicated GPU, but it's not necessary.
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First HTPC build, should I add my old video card or just use integrated graphics

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived