This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sister spilled water on laptop keyboard

#1Dipping_sticksPosted 8/29/2013 7:21:23 AM
But the laptop itself seems to work fine. I can start it normally, managed to find a way to log into my laptop(using a virtual keyboard for the login only) and even go on firefox or other programs.

But the obvious issue is that my keyboard wont work. At all. And I can't really type anything soo....

I was wondering, would replacing my entire keyboard with a new one likely fix the issue? Or should I just get a new laptop?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but rarely have I ever dealt with water spilling inside electronics, and the few times it did it would never work anymore(be4 I even knew about the rice method though) . Just dont want to deal with a case where i replace it with a new one, and the laptop still wont recognize any keys.
#2KidInTheHallPosted 8/29/2013 7:22:05 AM
Depends on how bad the damage is, send me a pick of your sister in a PM and I'll let ya know.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#3KidInTheHallPosted 8/29/2013 7:36:37 AM
I'm still waiting....
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#4Fade2black001Posted 8/29/2013 7:40:33 AM
KidInTheHall posted...
I'm still waiting....

Shut up kid
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#5Super_Thug44Posted 8/29/2013 8:01:08 AM
Dipping_sticks posted...
But the laptop itself seems to work fine. I can start it normally, managed to find a way to log into my laptop(using a virtual keyboard for the login only) and even go on firefox or other programs.

But the obvious issue is that my keyboard wont work. At all. And I can't really type anything soo....

I was wondering, would replacing my entire keyboard with a new one likely fix the issue? Or should I just get a new laptop?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but rarely have I ever dealt with water spilling inside electronics, and the few times it did it would never work anymore(be4 I even knew about the rice method though) . Just dont want to deal with a case where i replace it with a new one, and the laptop still wont recognize any keys.

I'm guessing you don't have any warranty on that laptop then? I would just buy a cheap USB keyboard for now. I'd be surprised if that doesn't work.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2Q46wvY.png
Currently watching: Breaking Bad, Fringe
#6Fade2black001Posted 8/29/2013 8:07:33 AM
I bet you can find a replacement keyboard on some site foor like 10 bucks. Just make sure its for that model specifically.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#7ShpooplePosted 8/29/2013 8:09:13 AM
Have you completely dried it? As in taken it apart and done the rice method or paper towels + warm place. If not give that a go, see if it works. If not, but everything else is working perfectly, we'll have to assume the keyboard is fried and needs replacing.
#8SinisterSlayPosted 8/29/2013 8:20:01 AM(edited)
KidInTheHall posted...
Depends on how bad the damage is, send me a pick of your sister in a PM and I'll let ya know.

This information is required before we can do any debugging. Assuming she is 18 or older.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9superdarkshadowPosted 8/29/2013 8:20:09 AM
You could try buying a new keyboard for that specific model on ebay, and replacing it. That's what I did for my fathers netbook after my little brother dropped it on the floor.

That of course only works if the keyboard is broken, not the connector TO the keyboard.
---
Corsair TX950W|ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe|Intel Core i5 2500K|CM Hyper 212+|ASUS GTX 670 DC2|Crucial M4 128GB |Samsung Spinpoint F3|CM 690 II Advanced|2x Dell U2312HM
#10RequiemPosted 8/29/2013 8:22:11 AM
If all else fails, just buy a normal keyboard and use a USB port.
It'll be a hassle, though, to carry it around... and you probably want to back up the data since we don't know how extensive the damage is.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex