This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sister spilled water on laptop keyboard

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Sister spilled water on laptop keyboard

User Info: Dipping_sticks

Dipping_sticks
3 years ago#1
But the laptop itself seems to work fine. I can start it normally, managed to find a way to log into my laptop(using a virtual keyboard for the login only) and even go on firefox or other programs.

But the obvious issue is that my keyboard wont work. At all. And I can't really type anything soo....

I was wondering, would replacing my entire keyboard with a new one likely fix the issue? Or should I just get a new laptop?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but rarely have I ever dealt with water spilling inside electronics, and the few times it did it would never work anymore(be4 I even knew about the rice method though) . Just dont want to deal with a case where i replace it with a new one, and the laptop still wont recognize any keys.

User Info: KidInTheHall

KidInTheHall
3 years ago#2
Depends on how bad the damage is, send me a pick of your sister in a PM and I'll let ya know.
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750

User Info: KidInTheHall

KidInTheHall
3 years ago#3
I'm still waiting....
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 years ago#4
KidInTheHall posted...
I'm still waiting....

Shut up kid
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.

User Info: Super_Thug44

Super_Thug44
3 years ago#5
Dipping_sticks posted...
But the laptop itself seems to work fine. I can start it normally, managed to find a way to log into my laptop(using a virtual keyboard for the login only) and even go on firefox or other programs.

But the obvious issue is that my keyboard wont work. At all. And I can't really type anything soo....

I was wondering, would replacing my entire keyboard with a new one likely fix the issue? Or should I just get a new laptop?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but rarely have I ever dealt with water spilling inside electronics, and the few times it did it would never work anymore(be4 I even knew about the rice method though) . Just dont want to deal with a case where i replace it with a new one, and the laptop still wont recognize any keys.

I'm guessing you don't have any warranty on that laptop then? I would just buy a cheap USB keyboard for now. I'd be surprised if that doesn't work.
http://i.imgur.com/2Q46wvY.png
Currently watching: Breaking Bad, Fringe

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 years ago#6
I bet you can find a replacement keyboard on some site foor like 10 bucks. Just make sure its for that model specifically.
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.

User Info: Shpoople

Shpoople
3 years ago#7
Have you completely dried it? As in taken it apart and done the rice method or paper towels + warm place. If not give that a go, see if it works. If not, but everything else is working perfectly, we'll have to assume the keyboard is fried and needs replacing.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 years ago#8
KidInTheHall posted...
Depends on how bad the damage is, send me a pick of your sister in a PM and I'll let ya know.

This information is required before we can do any debugging. Assuming she is 18 or older.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: superdarkshadow

superdarkshadow
3 years ago#9
You could try buying a new keyboard for that specific model on ebay, and replacing it. That's what I did for my fathers netbook after my little brother dropped it on the floor.

That of course only works if the keyboard is broken, not the connector TO the keyboard.
Corsair TX950W|ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe|Intel Core i5 2500K|CM Hyper 212+|ASUS GTX 670 DC2|Crucial M4 128GB |Samsung Spinpoint F3|CM 690 II Advanced|2x Dell U2312HM

User Info: Requiem

Requiem
3 years ago#10
If all else fails, just buy a normal keyboard and use a USB port.
It'll be a hassle, though, to carry it around... and you probably want to back up the data since we don't know how extensive the damage is.
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Sister spilled water on laptop keyboard

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived