This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Planning on getting a laptop for gaming.

#21ShadianVisePosted 8/29/2013 10:59:18 PM
I don't get when people start this thing about laptops being useless for gaming. I can play the vast majority of games being released today on my average little $800 machine, perhaps not at the highest settings, but I can still play them perfectly well. It's difficult to build or buy a desktop PC if you're in a position where you're moving around a lot or you have a small apartment, and a lot of us are in that situation. Besides, many people use their computers for other things besides gaming, and the portability really nails laptops down as great choices.
---
http://www.youtube.com/ShadianVise
TLoZ: Oracle of Ages playthrough in progress.
#22JKatarnPosted 8/31/2013 10:12:12 AM
Voelger posted...
Do not listen to these people! Get what you want gaming laptops are amazingly cool, powerful, convenient, and are popular because many people buy them.

Yes, and all cars are extremely fast, with great acceleration and gas mileage. Makes just as much sense as a gross generalization like "gaming laptops are amazingly cool". Standard, non-gaming grade laptops are incredibly popular, but most PC gamers are going to have the knowhow to realize that they'll get far more for their money with a Gaming PC, unless they absolutely need that kind of power in a portable, and very few do.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#23JKatarnPosted 8/31/2013 10:15:57 AM
ShadianVise posted...
I don't get when people start this thing about laptops being useless for gaming. I can play the vast majority of games being released today on my average little $800 machine, perhaps not at the highest settings, but I can still play them perfectly well. It's difficult to build or buy a desktop PC if you're in a position where you're moving around a lot or you have a small apartment, and a lot of us are in that situation. Besides, many people use their computers for other things besides gaming, and the portability really nails laptops down as great choices.

For that $800 you could have built a far more capable gaming machine that would handle any non-gaming task with aplomb. It's not a matter of Laptops being a poor choice for gaming, rather not being a logical choice for the money - unless you really need your computer to be portable, why play at low/medium settings when you can really enjoy your games on a solid gaming PC. Also, you can buy a fairly roomy mid-tower case that will provide enough room for plenty of components while remaining quite portable should you need to move to a new place etc.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#24DragnfyrPosted 8/31/2013 10:19:32 AM
Yeah if you're in college you don't want to get a pure desktop replacement gaming laptop. Either get a gaming desktop + ultrabook for ~$1800-$2000 total or get a gaming capable ultrabook like the Razer Blade 14 or MSI GE40.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
#25_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/31/2013 1:00:56 PM(edited)
Honestly , I think the "1800 dollar gaming laptop" is a bit of a niche product. To me , it is only appealing if I wanted to take my main gaming machine with me because I wanted to game in different places during the week.

For more conventional use, I would really prefer to build a really good desktop for $1000 that is both more powerful and easier to upgrade, and a light 800 dollar laptop that would easily suffice for all my day to day stuff. It seems to me that for that kind of money, you might as well just go ahead and get the best of both worlds, unless of course you really do need the mobility in your gaming PC.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#26OmegaDL50Posted 8/31/2013 1:13:36 PM
And even still most the extremely high performance laptops generally require a lot of energy to power due to abysmal battery life when gaming when unplugged.

I mean if you are going to use a Laptop as a dedicated gaming PC and will constantly need it to be tethered to an AC outlet just to keep it powered, then one would be better off buying a desktop anyways.

I mean if you are going to spend that much on a computer, why not get something far more efficient in terms of performance and reliability at far more reasonable price.

Hell at nearly $1900 you can basically do what _GRIM_FANDANGO_ said. Get both a Desktop and Laptop.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#27WarShadowFHPosted 8/31/2013 2:18:50 PM
I got My Lenovo y580 for $850 on a newegg sale last august. Its a great laptop for the price i paid, plays everything Ive thrown at it no prob. Even With optimus battery life is pretty lame for : /.
---
AMD Phenom II 955@ 3.6 GHZ, 460 GTX, 4GB GDDR3, 2x 1TB HDD
Lenovo Y580 i7 3610QM, GTX 660M, 6GB GDDR3, 750GB HDD
#28datopgamerPosted 8/31/2013 2:37:23 PM
People just hate on things they cant afford themselves. Get the product you want, what you do with it is your business. I for one use a laptop to game on away from home and have a desktop that can max pretty much everything. I got the laptop specifically for gaming away from home because carrying around a computer with a full tower case would be a pain in the ass.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#29ShadianVisePosted 8/31/2013 6:11:27 PM
JKatarn posted...
ShadianVise posted...

For that $800 you could have built a far more capable gaming machine that would handle any non-gaming task with aplomb. It's not a matter of Laptops being a poor choice for gaming, rather not being a logical choice for the money - unless you really need your computer to be portable, why play at low/medium settings when you can really enjoy your games on a solid gaming PC. Also, you can buy a fairly roomy mid-tower case that will provide enough room for plenty of components while remaining quite portable should you need to move to a new place etc.

I understand that, and I agree. However, it's also just easier to buy a laptop from somewhere online or at Best Buy, and that path doesn't involve learning how to build a computer, which the vast majority of people don't know how to do. Also, portability is a significant feature for many people, and a lot of people can't afford to do both a laptop and a desktop.
---
http://www.youtube.com/ShadianVise
TLoZ: Oracle of Ages playthrough in progress.