This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Purchasing a monitor: in-store or online?

#1pitt12177Posted 8/29/2013 8:59:46 AM
I want the Asus VE228H (129.99 after rebate from Newegg). It's also 149.99 at Microcenter. Is it worth it to get it cheaper off Newegg at the cost of the possibility of poor packaging? I don't know what experience people have with buying monitors online.
#2myztikricePosted 8/29/2013 9:02:32 AM
Online buying wouldn't exist if it were all poor packaging.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so ****in' hysterical.
#3CacciatoPosted 8/29/2013 9:02:40 AM
While I've never had a packaging issue with Newegg, it's really up to whatever you want to do. I don't know how close to Microcenter you live but if it were me I'd just pick it up. You still have to pay shipping, risk damage from shipping, and have to wait for it, otherwise.
#4MasterDonGeroPosted 8/29/2013 9:03:49 AM
What state do you live in? Because if you live where a Newegg building is, you have to pay tax. How much money will it cost to get to the Microcenter from where you live? What's the shipping cost off Newegg?
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#5pitt12177(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 9:05:59 AM
PA. I'm about 20 minutes from Microcenter and the shipping is 7.69 from Newegg but I'm already getting a HD and RAM from there.
#6PhilOnDezPosted 8/29/2013 9:57:57 AM
There are two reasons I'd hesitate to order a monitor online. The first is if you haven't seen it in person and it has mixed reviews for things that aren't obviously user error, like a 1 star review because it didn't have an hdmi port when the description obviously says it doesn't.

The second would be if you live in a sketchy area, the one I ordered came in just the manufacturer box with a shipping label on it. Definitely something someone would run off with in a heartbeat. Make sure to require a signature if you aren't 100% sure about where you live.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7Orestes417Posted 8/29/2013 9:59:33 AM
I prefer brick and mortar for items that may end up getting returned.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#8NicodimusPosted 8/29/2013 10:07:28 AM
I got my monitor from Amazon, and I'm glad I did. It had a defect, they sent me a new one immediately, and I had 30 days to ship the defective one back or they'd charge me for it. That's how it should work in this day and age.

Newegg, on the other hand, has a terrible RMA system. You ship it to them, and when they get around to looking at it, they will decide if it's a valid return or not. If not, they ship the same item back to you at your cost, and refuse to help you. If they determine it's defective, they will eventually send you another one via their slow-ass 4-7 day shipping. All told, the process takes at least 10 days. If it's something you really need, this will really infuriate you. I'd never buy a monitor there.

Stores are a good option IF you live close to any that carry good monitors and IF they carry the exact model you are looking for, but usually the prices are not as good as online.

TL;DR: Amazon all day long.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#9HaxnStashPosted 8/29/2013 10:10:59 AM
Check first if your Microcenter does price match from Newegg. I believe they do it on all stores.

My Microcenter does pricematch. Got my G600 mouse from Microcenter very cheap since they pricematched it on Newegg's price.
#10CaspernomnomPosted 8/29/2013 10:50:35 AM
pitt12177 posted...
I want the Asus VE228H (129.99 after rebate from Newegg). It's also 149.99 at Microcenter. Is it worth it to get it cheaper off Newegg at the cost of the possibility of poor packaging? I don't know what experience people have with buying monitors online.

I have both the VE228 and a VS229 why not get the "IPS" VS229 over the 228?