This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Massive lag and regular disconnects when playing games online

#1MarblesbunbunPosted 8/29/2013 1:20:02 PM(edited)
So as of last week, whenever my roommate or I play games online, we almost always have red lag and disconnect atleast once an hour.

The net itself is being quite slow.
We're in Massachusetts running on Time Warner Cable.

When i went to check the original network setup, I notice my roommate had the modem on the carpeted floor, I thought it was over heating so I had him move it.

The problems persisted so I checked again and noticed it was sitting beside and then placed ontop of an unshielded sub woofer. So we rewired the whole thing.

Two days later, the problems are still persisting and I was just disconnected in a dungeon and an LFR while playing today.

I have no clue what's causing this, there are no unauthorized connections to my our WiFi and even our wired PC connections are experiencing this lag and slowdown.

When Borderlands 2 Tiny Tina was released we played the entire game online with 2 additional friends without experiencing a bit of lag, now we can't go a few minutes without slow down, interrupts and other problems.

All Time Warner did was cycle our modem, which did absolutely nothing.

Router is Linksys E1500, Modem is an Arris TM722G-CT

Any help and advice would be wonderful.
Thank You!
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#2BilliePilgrimPosted 8/29/2013 12:56:53 PM
Keep reporting the problem, they're not going to send out a tech every time someone reports a problem with their connection. If it's not your modem or router, it could be a whole lot of things. Was there a lot of rain recently? Watering your lawn a lot? How old is the house? More specifically, how old the line running to the house? Have you checked your ethernet cables for kinks, jacket tears, etc? Have you tried reinstalling the firmware on your router? Maybe take a look at your network traffic, see if anything is using your connection without your knowledge. Maybe see if your router has any available third party firmware (eg Tomato firmware for some Linksys routers).

Back when I was still living with my parents, our house had a big drop in service quality from Qwest. Boiled down to a wet cable running from the splice case to the house that was causing a massive 12dB signal loss in the space of 100ft.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://tinyurl.com/bsdvav7
#3Killah PriestPosted 8/29/2013 1:03:15 PM
unplug your modem for like 10 min then call them up and say your internet went down.

fastest way to get someone to come out and check your stuff if they're saying everything should be fine.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#4Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 1:05:21 PM
BilliePilgrim posted...
Keep reporting the problem, they're not going to send out a tech every time someone reports a problem with their connection. If it's not your modem or router, it could be a whole lot of things. Was there a lot of rain recently? Watering your lawn a lot? How old is the house? More specifically, how old the line running to the house? Have you checked your ethernet cables for kinks, jacket tears, etc? Have you tried reinstalling the firmware on your router? Maybe take a look at your network traffic, see if anything is using your connection without your knowledge. Maybe see if your router has any available third party firmware (eg Tomato firmware for some Linksys routers).

Back when I was still living with my parents, our house had a big drop in service quality from Qwest. Boiled down to a wet cable running from the splice case to the house that was causing a massive 12dB signal loss in the space of 100ft.

Yea, I was checking all of that.
There has been no rain and it's been relatively mild heat wise.

The only ip addresses, both physical and wifi are the pcs authorized and using the WEP2 code I set up and my WiFi are also mac address locked.

house is easily from the 40s, and the way it is wired I don't know.. it was wired before I moved in.
My roommate say it goes down to the basement then up to their close then ran along their floor (about 10 ft) to their desk from the closet.

As I said, ti was working fine then BAM.
Last week we had 7 guests over, two or which had laptops.

One guest was playing Xbox 360 24/7 (Black Ops 2) and she never experienced lag while playing, yet the PCs would get dropped regularly while browsing and gaming.

Streaming is also having troubles.

Since we had guests, we reorganized the house.. moved the gaming room stuff to the living room, but that shouldn't change much (We had a 32inch tv in the living room, and a 55 in the game room)
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#5Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 1:05:52 PM
Killah Priest posted...
unplug your modem for like 10 min then call them up and say your internet went down.

fastest way to get someone to come out and check your stuff if they're saying everything should be fine.

Yea my modem has an 8hr battery back up built in.
---
#6Killah PriestPosted 8/29/2013 1:06:50 PM
so then just unplug the cable itself.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#7Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 3:31:21 PM
Killah Priest posted...
so then just unplug the cable itself.

True but when they come out they are total morons.
---
#8PyrotechnixxxPosted 8/29/2013 3:42:17 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
using the WEP2 code

I hope you mean WPA2, WEP security is terrible. If you are in fact using WEP, you should switch to WPA based authentication. Any kid who can Google can use your wifi otherwise.
---
Fear is a leash.
#9Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 4:19:47 PM
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...
using the WEP2 code

I hope you mean WPA2, WEP security is terrible. If you are in fact using WEP, you should switch to WPA based authentication. Any kid who can Google can use your wifi otherwise.

Yes WPA2 *laughs* totally the wrong protocol when I wrote it.
---
#10Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 9:44:03 PM
This sounds weird but around 11pm-1am the congestion and lag is at it's wort.
My ping is 2478ms right now
---