This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

1st attempt at overclocking a failure - Help -

#1jaymart_2kPosted 8/29/2013 2:16:54 PM
My spec

Motherboard: gigabyte ga-970a ud3
GPU: AMD XF 7870 2GB
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182073

My 1st attempt was from some site I found on google. I couldn't find my motherboard overclocking guide so I tried another.

I tried my best to match the names with the numbers since alot where named different then my motherboard.

Booted up system afterwards, no video. I then successfully booted up my PC after I reseted motherboard ,thank god no damage was done.

Anyways, can someone help me out?

I'm not looking to overclock to 5hrz like some people have. I'd like to go at least 4.5hrz for now.
---
(Xbox Live GT) jaymart 4point0 (PSN) jaymart_ 2k (Twitter) jaymart2k (Nintendo ID) JayMart (Gamefaqs) Marked Trolling for talking positive of Wii U
#2alienated182Posted 8/29/2013 2:28:36 PM
Are you using a stock cooler still?
#3Trance_FanPosted 8/29/2013 2:29:20 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4jaymart_2k(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 2:33:08 PM
alienated182 posted...
Are you using a stock cooler still?

No, it's a liquid cooler similar to this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181031
---
(Xbox Live GT) jaymart 4point0 (PSN) jaymart_ 2k (Twitter) jaymart2k (Nintendo ID) JayMart (Gamefaqs) Marked Trolling for talking positive of Wii U
#5GreenMage7Posted 8/29/2013 2:53:28 PM
You are the guy who was having problems with Saints Row 4 right? I'd be willing to help you, but firstly your extreme frame dips aren't a problem with your processor as a guy with a Phenom II was not having them. It's something else that is up. So if your main goal is to get your games to work correctly, I doubt this is going to help.

First, you probably want to run Malware Bytes and make absolutely sure there isn't any junk on your computer that might be affecting performance. Secondly, did you download the beta driver for your video card like I said in the other thread?

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-8WINBetaDriver.aspx

You specifically said you were having problems in Saints Row 4 and this will address some of that. Also, what settings did you have on in the game. I think you said Ultra but you didn't say whether V-Sync was on or off or whether you were running in full screen or windowed mode or anything.

If you still have problems we'll try to figure something out. Also, the way you made your last thread was not way to endear yourself to the already AMD-hating public in this board. Try to politely ask for help rather than lashing out next time.
#6alienated182Posted 8/29/2013 2:59:13 PM
What have you attempted so far? have you read/ followed/ googled any of the guides?
Disabled energy saving and turbo boost modes?
I wouldn't focus on finding a guide for your particular mobo, Terms will be the same across the board, or very close. Find one for your processor, or any newer gen AMD.
Watch a youtube and get familiar with processes,
Only play with the multiplier until your comfortable dealing with voltage tweaking. (which is more risky)
Check your temps and always burn test before using to check that its stable (prime95 is what I prefer)
#7Teufel_xPosted 8/29/2013 3:03:56 PM
heres what i would do to test.

First go into your bios and keep rebooting into windows until you cant get into Windows by uping the multiplyer by 0.5 for amd.

keep doing this till you cant enter windows or till your at your desired overclock if you can do it on stock.

if A: you crash. turn down the multiplyer 2 steps and then test it for like an hour in Prime95 if it passes then great dont do anything. if a core fails sometime in that 1 hour window raise the voltage on the cpu BY ONE or TWO notchs at MOST. and retest till it can last a full hour.

generally in prime95 itll crash within the first 10mins.

if you want quick and dirty do 10min prime95 runs till your desired overclock 4.5

then try and get prime95 stable for an hour with it.

if any cpu can stay stable for that long in will likely be 99% stable for any realworld scenario.

i do this method for all my cpus.

its a slow process unless you know what ur doing.
---
Playin Oldschool games for your enjoyment :)
MAG - 4X VET, PSN ID: Teufel9000 add me for Games!
#8jaymart_2k(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 3:04:34 PM
GreenMage7 posted...
You are the guy who was having problems with Saints Row 4 right? I'd be willing to help you, but firstly your extreme frame dips aren't a problem with your processor as a guy with a Phenom II was not having them. It's something else that is up. So if your main goal is to get your games to work correctly, I doubt this is going to help.

First, you probably want to run Malware Bytes and make absolutely sure there isn't any junk on your computer that might be affecting performance. Secondly, did you download the beta driver for your video card like I said in the other thread?

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-8WINBetaDriver.aspx

You specifically said you were having problems in Saints Row 4 and this will address some of that. Also, what settings did you have on in the game. I think you said Ultra but you didn't say whether V-Sync was on or off or whether you were running in full screen or windowed mode or anything.

If you still have problems we'll try to figure something out. Also, the way you made your last thread was not way to endear yourself to the already AMD-hating public in this board. Try to politely ask for help rather than lashing out next time.

Ok I'll try that program. Sorry about being angry at Saint's Row 4, bad day at work. Wanted to come home & relax.
---
#9jaymart_2k(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 3:10:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Will look more into them.
---