This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did EA cut their ties with valve?

#31GreenMage7Posted 8/29/2013 5:09:20 PM(edited)
They found a way around it anyway. The Mass Effect 2 DLC for example is all hosted on Bioware's site and then added through the game as an installer and while the DLC itself is not available on Steam. For what it's worth, EA actually had a point that if they were going to host the DLC themselves then Steam might not deserve a cut. The disc version, Steam version, and Origin version and every other digital download service have to go through that for Mass Effect 2.

So they were right about that but honestly they should have also hosted the actual DLC on those services so that if people wanted to download it through them they could have, and then whichever service was hosting the file would get the cut. The way it ended up working out is ok, but honestly both sides were being kind of stupid about it.

Edit: I should be clear though, Steam was the one who actually started pulling the games. After EA figured out the thing with Mass Effect 2, Steam made a rule that all games with DLC must also offer that DLC on Steam. That's why Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2 got immediately pulled. It's also why Crytek made Crysis 2: Maximum Edition and put it back on Steam, they removed the in-game store because all of the DLC was already in the game.

EA would have no problem putting every single one of their base games on Steam, heck they essentially gave most of them away in the Humble Bundle. It's less than they give to Wal-mart for example. It's all about DLC and micro-transactions to them.
#32steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 5:15:02 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
steveboblarry posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
People need to stop thinking EA is trying to compete with steam. Orgin is just about trying to cut out the middle man to give EA more profits. You'll know if EA was trying to compete with Steam if you see them make serious efforts for third party games, more importantly the indie market.

EA has plenty enough money to try that if they wanted too.

Well there was this article

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/06/ea-exec-says-origin-is-the-facebook-to-steams-myspace

What they say and what they do can be two different things.That's like me saying I'ma start running a mile everyday while my big butt made no effort yet.

It isn't hard for EA to publish other people's games online. They been in the publishing game for decades. You'll KNOW when they actually start to put forth effort.

They are putting forth effort. also your right its not hard for them to publish others peoples games but, the companies would rather use steam works
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#33gastamanPosted 8/29/2013 5:19:02 PM
DerPancake posted...
Seriously Origin is better.

Origin sells pure AAA high quality games.

While Steam sells indies and The Witcher 2.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/witcher-2/pc-download/base-game/enhanced-edition
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#34DerPancakePosted 8/29/2013 5:25:01 PM(edited)
gastaman posted...
DerPancake posted...
Seriously Origin is better.

Origin sells pure AAA high quality games.

While Steam sells indies and The Witcher 2.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/witcher-2/pc-download/base-game/enhanced-edition

Damn.
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!
#35happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 5:24:13 PM
steveboblarry posted...

They are putting forth effort. also your right its not hard for them to publish others peoples games but, the companies would rather use steam works

I think you are being naive. Most companies would try to get anyone to sell their games. Hell most of them don't even have a choice.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#36steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 5:29:46 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

I think you are being naive. Most companies would try to get anyone to sell their games. Hell most of them don't even have a choice.

Dude you make it sound like if EA wanted to they could crush Steam with Origin, also your right all companies in general would like to cut out the middle man and sell directly to the consumer. Ubisoft did not take the same route as EA did,they have their own client were you can get the content directly from them, but also adhere to valves policies concerning dlc.
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#37GreenMage7Posted 8/29/2013 6:42:07 PM
steveboblarry posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

Dude you make it sound like if EA wanted to they could crush Steam with Origin, also your right all companies in general would like to cut out the middle man and sell directly to the consumer. Ubisoft did not take the same route as EA did,they have their own client were you can get the content directly from them, but also adhere to valves policies concerning dlc.

EA's problem with them was Valve changed their policies after EA was allowed to do it. Valve specifically made new policies after EA started selling their own DLC. That's why Mass Effect 2 is still on Steam. Because they were doing it before Steam changed their own policy. They have the right to change their policies, but don't you understand why EA was upset?

People got it backwards and thought that EA was trying to not pay Steam the 30% cut for things it hosted. The actual reality was that EA was bypassing Steam all together but were hosting it themselves. Valve was actually the one who initially pulled EA's games with stores from Steam, not the other way around.

Still, I think EA would have made more money overall if they just put the DLC in both places but I guess they think otherwise, especially with the heavy focus on micro-transactions in the newer games. Maybe they are right. Who knows?
#38happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 6:45:39 PM
steveboblarry posted...

Dude you make it sound like if EA wanted to they could crush Steam with Origin,.

I never said or implied that. All I implied that they have the experience, money, and resources to have a good chance to be competitive if they really wanted to.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#39ChromaticAngelPosted 8/29/2013 7:06:43 PM
FWIW I agree with both companies. EA has a right to sell their s*** the way they want to and Valve has a right to pull their games off Steam. I have no problems with Origin and now prefer all my EA games be installed through Origin because I know EA provides a better service for their own games than Steam would have.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#40FdshadowPosted 8/29/2013 7:37:37 PM
They didn't like the fact going through Steam forced them to take a loss on sales, so they half-assed their own games platform and shoved it down the throats of their users, that's all.