This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nvidia Shield impressions! Anyone have it?

#1VoelgerPosted 8/29/2013 2:21:35 PM
Topic? It looks to blow the wii u away- in house streaming of many steam games.
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#2GreenMage7Posted 8/29/2013 2:28:05 PM
You look familiar.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/67104971

Nah, must have been someone else with your exact name. If you want impressions you can check "reviews" on newegg or read a review.
#3Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 2:39:41 PM
Yeah, that thread took a strange path. I wanted a dialogue where I could ask questions? Can't do that on newegg
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#4Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 9:31:14 PM
No one has one?
---
Gaming PC from Mythlogic,, Wii U, XboxOne-PS4 Undecided
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/29/2013 9:41:26 PM
I've been keeping tabs on it.
It's got a rough launch, but is worth keeping an eye on.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
Voelger posted...
Just the fact I can game in bed or on the couch! I want it but it doesn't support laptops :(

Not officially, but there are workarounds for this. Pretty sure someone had a hacked driver that does just that, and official support will certainly be in down the line, for 660M and better Kepler mobile GPUs.

It's a pretty awesome little device, but it's got a lot of launch hiccups.

---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#6Master_BassPosted 8/29/2013 9:42:18 PM
It doesn't surprise me no one has one here. I don't know of anyone that was actually excited for Shield.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#7WyzeGyePosted 8/29/2013 9:58:50 PM
check the android board there's a few owners over there
---
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif | http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/2/7/201227_v1.gif
#8Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 10:17:59 PM
Thx
---
Gaming PC from Mythlogic,, Wii U, XboxOne-PS4 Undecided
#9Marioface5Posted 8/29/2013 11:51:54 PM
I really like mine, I use it for emulators. The main downside for me right now is that, last I checked, the update that will allow it to write to micro SD cards hasn't gone out yet. I have no idea what the PC streaming is like since right now I have a 560 Ti and you need a card from the 600 series or later. Android gaming is fine I guess, but I haven't really bothered with it.

The size of the controller can take a little getting used to, but once you do it feels great. The speakers are really impressive, much to my surprise. The touch-screen controls work fine for the most part, but typing on it is kind of a pain and if you use the controller to type it's just going to be slower. The analog sticks feel really nice, but the d-pad isn't locked into place. Like it will kind of slide around a little when force is applied to it, and it's quite a bit noisier than I would have liked. It's not a big deal, it still works fine, but it can be a little annoying. It might just be the d-pad on mine that's like that, but I wouldn't bet on it. The clamshell design is nice, and overall it feels like a very sturdy product. The actual screen size is a little smaller than I had anticipated, but it's a good size for most things. The battery seems to last quite a while without needing to be charged, which is always a plus, and charging it doesn't take that long from what I've seen. The 16GB of storage actually comes out as being 12-13GB, so depending on how you want to use it you should probably expect to be grabbing some micro-SD cards.

The case is good for protecting the Shield and very little else. Though there's a plug in the back that allows you to run a USB cable through it to charge while the case is closed, it's potentially a terrible idea because the case has no ventilation and the Shield can get pretty warm while charging even out of the case. The little net in the case can be good for holding micro-SD cards or earbuds, but you can't fit the charging adapter or cable in it, which means that if you travel with the Shield you'll need something separate to keep those things in. Like the Shield itself, the case feels very sturdy and well-made. It fits the device like a glove, and though I wish it had more room for the accessories I'm kind of glad that everything is such a tight fit because it means that the Shield will be more firmly protected while in the case.

As far as I can tell it works fine as a normal Android device, which means that aside from just games you'll be able to go online with it, watch movies and shows, listen to music, and all of that other good stuff. Even if you have a tablet, the added functionality of the Shield means that if you're going on a trip you can bring just one device along to do everything with. Or at least everything that doesn't require the portrait view or a lot of typing. I imagine you could get a stylus for a low price that would help solve the typing issue though.

Overall I'd say it's a really nice device, and even if it is a niche product I think that those who want it will be very happy with it. It needs a few updates here and there, but those should show up in due time. I can't think of anything else to say about it at the moment, but if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. I hope this post has been of some help!
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#10zorlaczeroheroPosted 8/30/2013 4:46:48 AM
Voelger posted...
Topic? It looks to blow the wii u away- in house streaming of many steam games.

I have one and really like it. The streaming is good when you get set up on 5Ghz, on 2.4 it wasn't too great. But that's more to do with the amount of devices we have running at any one time in my house. Though the range sucks on 5Ghz.

Many games either stream or are tweakable to stream. As long as they support controller you can usually get them working.

I tend to use it more for Android games and Emu's than anything. The jump to full controller gives a lot of Android fodder a new lease of life, Nova 3, Modern Combat etc. They become a lot more enjoyable. And at a few dollars a game it's a no brainer.

I've rooted mine to open up the SD card. Even with the official Nvidia update, installing to SD isn't too great, so if you don't mind the risk I'd suggest looking into it. Nvidia have said they encourage people to see what they can get out of it. XDA devs is the place to start, they've done a lot of work on it. Including OC'ing it to 2.5!

Marioface5 posted...
I really like mine, I use it for emulators. The main downside for me right now is that, last I checked, the update that will allow it to write to micro SD cards hasn't gone out yet.

Format the SD to Fat 32, allows the Shield access to R/W to the SD. Only downside is 2gb file sizes. I rooted and use Foldermount from the app store to install games to SD. Works well.
---
19. And so did Elvis have his road crew set up a mighty speaker system outside the walls. And thusly did he pump up the volume.
-The Suburban Book of the Dead