This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

cpu and mobo change

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. cpu and mobo change

User Info: Sergei_Dukanov

Sergei_Dukanov
3 years ago#1
Now that I have my system squared way, my friend got released from his job. He was planing on upgrading his rig, but now he no longer has the means. I have a 965 phenom and a 760 mobo to go with it (including 4 gigs of ram) and I wanted to know if there is any way he can use it without having to do a complete wipe of his hard drive? And I highly doubt his mobo supports 125w CPU's since he has a phenom X3 in it. As for his mobo, I have no idea what it it since its one from and HP cp.
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice" Gamer Tag XT356 my pc:pcpartpicker.com/p/1wSB1

User Info: MC RaZaR

MC RaZaR
3 years ago#2
I'm not sure if there's anyway around it. He can try to uninstall the chipset,onboard drivers, audio and video drivers as well if any and give it a shot. He will still have to back everything up if that doesn't work.

I say just back everything up and do a clean install of Windows or whatever OS he uses, just to avoid any issues.
Oh, I don't want to walk that far. Anything that takes more than 12 steps isn't worth doing! Eh? 12? Get it? Steps! Hehehe.- Homer J. Simpson

User Info: Sergei_Dukanov

Sergei_Dukanov
3 years ago#3
MC RaZaR posted...
I'm not sure if there's anyway around it. He can try to uninstall the chipset,onboard drivers, audio and video drivers as well if any and give it a shot. He will still have to back everything up if that doesn't work.

I say just back everything up and do a clean install of Windows or whatever OS he uses, just to avoid any issues.

I know, but he has over 300 games that will probably need to be reinstalled. I was just trying to cut back on some loss of time with reinstalling stuff back. And I did a fresh install of windows 7 with my new mobo and somehow lost 300 photos and 700 songs. They didnt fully back up :(
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice" Gamer Tag XT356 my pc:pcpartpicker.com/p/1wSB1

User Info: Bowsaa

Bowsaa
3 years ago#4
He could install the new parts and just drop the new HDD in and see if it worked. I know that I was able to take the HDD from my laptop, use that for a while without installing a new OS, and put it back without any issues (besides having to swap drivers).
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. cpu and mobo change

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived