This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

cpu and mobo change

#1Sergei_DukanovPosted 8/29/2013 5:11:18 PM
Now that I have my system squared way, my friend got released from his job. He was planing on upgrading his rig, but now he no longer has the means. I have a 965 phenom and a 760 mobo to go with it (including 4 gigs of ram) and I wanted to know if there is any way he can use it without having to do a complete wipe of his hard drive? And I highly doubt his mobo supports 125w CPU's since he has a phenom X3 in it. As for his mobo, I have no idea what it it since its one from and HP cp.
---
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice" Gamer Tag XT356 my pc:pcpartpicker.com/p/1wSB1
#2MC RaZaRPosted 8/29/2013 5:22:00 PM
I'm not sure if there's anyway around it. He can try to uninstall the chipset,onboard drivers, audio and video drivers as well if any and give it a shot. He will still have to back everything up if that doesn't work.

I say just back everything up and do a clean install of Windows or whatever OS he uses, just to avoid any issues.
---
Oh, I don't want to walk that far. Anything that takes more than 12 steps isn't worth doing! Eh? 12? Get it? Steps! Hehehe.- Homer J. Simpson
#3Sergei_Dukanov(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 5:28:55 PM
MC RaZaR posted...
I'm not sure if there's anyway around it. He can try to uninstall the chipset,onboard drivers, audio and video drivers as well if any and give it a shot. He will still have to back everything up if that doesn't work.

I say just back everything up and do a clean install of Windows or whatever OS he uses, just to avoid any issues.

I know, but he has over 300 games that will probably need to be reinstalled. I was just trying to cut back on some loss of time with reinstalling stuff back. And I did a fresh install of windows 7 with my new mobo and somehow lost 300 photos and 700 songs. They didnt fully back up :(
---
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice" Gamer Tag XT356 my pc:pcpartpicker.com/p/1wSB1
#4BowsaaPosted 8/29/2013 6:10:29 PM
He could install the new parts and just drop the new HDD in and see if it worked. I know that I was able to take the HDD from my laptop, use that for a while without installing a new OS, and put it back without any issues (besides having to swap drivers).
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000