This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do monitors make a big difference in how the graphics of a game look?

#11ShebeskiiPosted 8/29/2013 6:46:59 PM(edited)
Let's put it this way:

Anyone with a monitor under 200 dollars with a graphics card over 300 is a complete ignoramus.

Okay, maybe that's a little harsh and not entirely true. There ARE some good sub 200 monitors. Maybe that statement was true 2+ years ago.

Point being, take the quality of your monitor very seriously. Maxed graphics means nothing if the display sucks.

Medium graphics on a stellar monitor >>>>> maxed graphics on a sub par 120 dollar piece of junk 1080p display from Best Buy.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#12happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 6:47:01 PM
Shebeskii posted...
Let's put it this way:

Anyone with a monitor under 200 dollars with a graphics card over 300 is a complete ignoramus.

2/10
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#13ShebeskiiPosted 8/29/2013 6:50:37 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
Shebeskii posted...
Let's put it this way:

2/10

I know, it's complete hyperbole. Anyway, too many PC gamers act like any old 1080p LCD is good enough. It's really not and never will be.

I truly believe many console gamers say they can't tell much a difference between PC and console because they saw PC gaming on some dinky piece of junk monitor and their console on a 1200+ dollar plasma.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#14happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 6:53:39 PM
Shebeskii posted...

Okay, maybe that's a little harsh and not entirely true. There ARE some good sub 200 monitors. Maybe that statement was true 2+ years ago.

Point being, take the quality of your monitor very seriously. Maxed graphics means nothing if the display sucks.

Medium graphics on a stellar monitor >>>>> maxed graphics on a sub par 120 dollar piece of junk 1080p display from Best Buy.

3/10 now.

1. Not everyone trying to go with super graphics. A lot of people upgrade their card just to be able to play certain games. I'm pretty sure a lot of people now just want to be able to play dx11 games.

2. The TC doesn't even remotely sound like he's trying to get MAX super OP lvl graphics that would justify buying an expensive monitor
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#15TimePharaohPosted 8/29/2013 6:56:10 PM(edited)
happyscrub1 posted...
Shebeskii posted...

3/10 now.

1. Not everyone trying to go with super graphics. A lot of people upgrade their card just to be able to play certain games. I'm pretty sure a lot of people now just want to be able to play dx11 games.

2. The TC doesn't even remotely sound like he's trying to get MAX super OP lvl graphics that would justify buying an expensive monitor

Who has a $300 GPU but doesn't care about "super graphics" and just wants to "play" them? And dat input lag right because I mean, who cares?

1.5/10 as expected from one of your posts
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#16ShebeskiiPosted 8/29/2013 6:58:37 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
Shebeskii posted...

3/10 now.

I know. I just made the statement out of frustration with this topic. I don't even have the greatest display, but I've tried enough displays to know it's doing my games justice. 2 years ago you needed to spend over 200 to get anything half decent, and more than likely closer to 300 and beyond.

You don't need a 300+ dollar graphics card to just play games. If you're just looking to play games, get a 7870 or lower.

Lots of PC gamers have 7970s, 680s etc. with a 120 dollar ASUS. How about we stop doing that. Thanks.
---
#17ShebeskiiPosted 8/29/2013 7:01:55 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
Shebeskii posted...

3/10 now.

Who has a $300 GPU but doesn't care about "super graphics" and just wants to "play" them? And dat input lag right because I mean, who cares?

1.5/10 as expected from one of your posts

To be fair what I said was a little extreme and regrettable, so I'm not surprised by the response.

There are some decent displays for cheap these days. I was kind of thinking in 2011 mode.

But if you're chilling with a 7970 or beyond and a cheap ass ASUS or Acer, shake your head. That was my point.
---
#18capgamerPosted 8/29/2013 7:03:52 PM
A nice monitor makes a big difference in the usability of your computer and the overall enjoyment you get from it. Consider that you're using your graphics card only when you play games but you are are using your monitor for literally every task you perform on the computer. Given the choice, I would rather get a nice monitor than save a couple of bucks.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#19Cool_Dude667Posted 8/29/2013 7:07:36 PM
I use a 220 dollar asus as my 2ndary monitor :P
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#20ShebeskiiPosted 8/29/2013 7:08:11 PM(edited)
capgamer posted...
A nice monitor makes a big difference in the usability of your computer and the overall enjoyment you get from it. Consider that you're using your graphics card only when you play games but you are are using your monitor for literally every task you perform on the computer. Given the choice, I would rather get a nice monitor than save a couple of bucks.

Yeah. A good monitor is fundamental. Cheaping out on it is probably the worst thing you can do outside of a really bad mismatch between the CPU and GPU, or maybe buying a horrible motherboard/PSU.

A good monitor is a foundation for your setup. Nothing makes sense without it. You're buying an expensive CPU (200-300) and an expensive GPU (300-500) with all the other necessary parts to get this beastly system going and you put it to work on a budget panel that your grandma would use if she bought a computer today?

bruuuuuutal dude
---