This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do monitors make a big difference in how the graphics of a game look?

#21Slyster1181Posted 8/29/2013 8:09:33 PM
Deathx113 posted...
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174

Really any 23-24" 1080p monitor seems to be the standard these days. This one seems to be really good and it's not $300. If you want a higher resolution it will cost more, 1440p will be closer to $300.

Thanks man :D

That monitor seems pretty good, may dive in on it right now.

I have that monitor and it is very nice!
#22happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 8:09:55 PM
This thread has instantly turned ino an elitist playground. Time to convince people to waste money.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#23ShebeskiiPosted 8/29/2013 8:19:52 PM(edited)
happyscrub1 posted...
This thread has instantly turned ino an elitist playground. Time to convince people to waste money.

No. It really isn't elitism.

If anything, cut on your GPU and go mid range and get a nice display if you don't have one.

If I were to build from the ground up? I'd make a solid monitor a part of the setup. I don't need a 600-1000 dollar dell. No one does, but a cheapo LCD on sale from Newegg is not what your new system needs. Graphics settings don't mean much if the way the image is created is mediocre to poor.

I'm advocating to spend the same amount, just differently.

I agree with your first post, but maybe your idea of cheap is really cheap.

I'm just saying, try not to spend under 200 if you can help it. You'll have it for years and it'll be apart of everything you do on your PC.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#24happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 8:23:56 PM(edited)
Shebeskii posted...

If anything, cut on your GPU and go mid range and get a nice display if you don't have one..

Why the hell would anyone cut on their GPU? That's the first thing that gets old outdated to where it can competely stop you from playing games period. Monitors can last damn near forever.

to me that sounds like asking someone to cut money on a transmission but go all out on tires.
---
#25TimePharaohPosted 8/29/2013 8:23:08 PM(edited)
happyscrub1 posted...

See? This is what happens when someone is ignorant and has no proper response to facts and logical thinking, they just start throwing around "elitism" and never defend their (terrible) position. They have no actual defense when they're just wrong.

happyscrub1 posted...
Why the hell would anyone cut on their GPU? That's the first thing that gets old outdated to where it can competely stop you from playing games period. Monitors can last damn near forever.

Stop me that sounds like asking someone to cut money on a transmission but go all out on tires.

You heard it here from the the intelligent mind of happyscrub himself, everyone buy some Titans and hook it up to 30 year old CRT's, because they're just monitors after all.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#26Panzer_SquidPosted 8/29/2013 8:23:30 PM(edited)
Sort of

The biggest difference I saw between monitors was color. There's a big difference between my default settings with the default Windows color profile and a color profile generated by a calibration tool/software.

I guess resolution is another thing. 1920x1080 will look much sharper than 1280x720
---
The Panzer Squid is the ultimate hunter, blending into any environment until it has the opportunity to shove a rocket up urbum
#27happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 8:23:04 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
happyscrub1 posted...

See? This is what happens when someone is ignorant and has no proper response to facts and logical thinking, they just start throwing around "elitism" and never defend their (terrible) position.

You heard it here from the the intelligent mind of happyscrub himself, everyone buy some Titans and hook it up to 30 year old CRT's, because they're just monitors after all.

As usual, you make long threads to attack someone while making up stuff as you go.
---
#28TimePharaohPosted 8/29/2013 8:24:21 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
happyscrub1 posted...

See? This is what happens when someone is ignorant and has no proper response to facts and logical thinking, they just start throwing around "elitism" and never defend their (terrible) position.

As usual, you make long threads to attack someone while making up stuff as you go.

That's not a thread it's a post, and I'm not the one saying monitor quality is irrelevant lol.

If you have no idea what you're talking about that's fine, but don't try to argue your ignorance with other people.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#29happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 8:26:21 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

That's not a thread it's a post, and I'm not the one saying monitor quality is irrelevant lol.

If you have no idea what you're talking about that's fine, but don't try to argue your ignorance with other people.

So I'm arguing now? I thought you just said I never tried to defend my point? Like I said, you just make up stuff and say the 1st thing that pops in your head.
---
#30ShebeskiiPosted 8/29/2013 8:31:33 PM(edited)
happyscrub1 posted...
Shebeskii posted...

If anything, cut on your GPU and go mid range and get a nice display if you don't have one..

Stop me that sounds like asking someone to cut money on a transmission but go all out on tires.

That GPU doesn't mean much if your monitor isn't very good.

You can always turn down settings. You don't seem to get it.

I'm running a GTX 570. It's running on 2.5 years old. I run it on a (then) 300 dollar IPS.

My system running Bioshock Infinite on High will look better than a 7970GHz running the game on ultra on a contemporary monitor that was less than half the price. The extra horsepower is pointless.

A good monitor makes that investment into the GPU worth it. Again, settings can always be turned down. You could be gaming on a GTX 460.

Also, mid range GPUs have more bang for your buck.

So what I'm arguing is going for bang for buck GPUs with a good monitor vs. raw power displayed sub optimally. You're getting pros on both ends. The monitor makes all settings levels look better, and you don't feel the need to constantly upgrade because, hey, medium-high looks GREAT! And you saved on the initial cost of your GPU and it also has longer legs.

A good monitor is always a win-win, unless you're so broke you can't pay your rent, then buying a computer isn't the best.

A good CPU should also be a priority. They age REALLY WELL. Just like a good monitor makes all your other investments that much better. GPUs are a money pit. They age fast and buying expensive ones without the supplemental equipment (CPU and monitor) is a waste.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens