This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do monitors make a big difference in how the graphics of a game look?

#31happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 7:28:51 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

You heard it here from the the intelligent mind of happyscrub himself, everyone buy some Titans and hook it up to 30 year old CRT's, because they're just monitors after all.

I rather have a 30 year old CRT than a 30 year old GPU.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#32ShebeskiiPosted 8/29/2013 7:34:14 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
TimePharaoh posted...

You heard it here from the the intelligent mind of happyscrub himself, everyone buy some Titans and hook it up to 30 year old CRT's, because they're just monitors after all.

I rather have a 30 year old CRT than a 30 year old GPU.

And extremes don't matter in this instance. The fact that displays are more timeless doesn't justify cheaping out. If anything it says the exact opposite. It plays a role in everything you do on the PC.

I'd rather run a game on high on a good to stellar display than max on a lemon.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#33happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 7:35:40 PM
Shebeskii posted...

I rather be able to run a game 2-3 years later then to be not able to
---
#34PolarisPosted 8/29/2013 7:36:21 PM
I have a $300 monitor, and compared to the screen on my $500 laptop the difference is huge. Laptops have crummy monitors. I hope there aren't any desktop monitors that are that bad, but there probably are.
#35ShebeskiiPosted 8/29/2013 7:42:17 PM(edited)
happyscrub1 posted...
Shebeskii posted...

I rather be able to run a game 2-3 years later then to be not able to

Do you own GPUs for 6 years? It's going to take that long for a 7970 to be still playing games while a 7870 wouldn't be.

Let's keep throwing money away at premium GPUs so we can run higher settings on a crummy display.

It's probably a one time payment that affects generations of GPUs. I have no idea how you could say one GPU generation of moderately superior performance and longevity is worth having all your GPU generations look like ass.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#36ShebeskiiPosted 8/29/2013 7:46:44 PM(edited)
Polaris posted...
I have a $300 monitor, and compared to the screen on my $500 laptop the difference is huge. Laptops have crummy monitors. I hope there aren't any desktop monitors that are that bad, but there probably are.

A really good example, actually. They don't get that bad, but they get pretty damn bad.

I'm continually baffled about how some PC gamers don't notice or care for AO and other very significant effects.

I have this compulsion to think they're daft, but horrible monitors are all too common in the PC gaming community. I hope to hell it's that. It makes perfect sense, at least.

This is one thing console gamers consistently beat us at. The average PS3 gamer has a decent to proper display. Until recently, I don't think you could say the same about PC gamers after the transition from CRT. We've been running garbage.
---
#37jgatlabayanPosted 8/29/2013 7:49:52 PM
from chimei 24" to benq 120hz 24".
You can clearly see the difference in motion especially in fps games, but I can understand that some people will be able to live with the chimei.
---
i5 2500k @ 5ghz/ GTX 780 /Asrock z77 Extreme4 /16gb DDR3-1600 / Sandisk Extreme 240gb ssd /1.5tb hdd/BenQ XL2420T 24in 120hz /Noctua Nh d14/ all major consoles
#38happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 7:50:48 PM
Shebeskii posted...
Until recently, I don't think you could say the same about PC gamers after the transition from CRT. We've been running garbage.

There's one thing we can agree on. I miss my CRT. I ran it until it stop working. I hate flatscreens.
---
#39Master_BassPosted 8/29/2013 8:12:51 PM
I agree. Especially when you look at your monitor for a good part of the day. I would never get some cheap one after having nice 1440/1600 displays.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#40overkillwfo1978Posted 8/29/2013 8:27:36 PM
All I know is that gaming on my 55" LED with max settings/1080p/60fps is glorious when comparing to console resolutions and fps. It was like jumping ahead 2 generations instantly.
---
"Even if you go by the cheapest price the game has ever been anywhere, psn+ would still be cheaper by at least 3 fold". DemonDog on psn+ vs. Steam