This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

All these DRMs and clients are starting to annoy me...

#1patribrodPosted 8/29/2013 9:08:15 PM
I sometimes wish it was more unified like PSN or XBL... Don't get me wrong, I love me my Steam and still think it's the most feature rich platform of all. But what annoys me is that now I can't keep a &?*$*& game under the same client anymore. Between Origin, Steam, uPlay, MMOs, Battle.net, GFWL (thankfully going away) Sims Online, I'm at a lost.

I have to sign in to too many different accounts, achievements are spread all over the place so they mean nothing (when they are supported that is) and I hate that I "buy" games digitally from so many different marketplaces not knowing if they will stick around for much longer.

Anyone else feels the same? As stupid as it sounds I miss the days when Steam almost had total monopoly. I know companies want their cut of the profit but I think it's going too far.

*ends rant
---
FX8350 / ATI Sapphire 7870XT OCed / Patriot 64GB SSD / 3x1TB WD Black / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / 12GB DDR3 / 750W C-Master GX / Corsair 300R / Steam ID : PatriBrod
#2DerPancakePosted 8/29/2013 9:09:59 PM
If Steam was as good as Origin then I would agree.
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!
#3patribrod(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 9:12:04 PM
I'm not trying to start a war on which is better. They all have their pros and cons I guess. I just hate that there are so many. It's as if companies all want to shove a new client down our throats with every new PC release.
---
FX8350 / ATI Sapphire 7870XT OCed / Patriot 64GB SSD / 3x1TB WD Black / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / 12GB DDR3 / 750W C-Master GX / Corsair 300R / Steam ID : PatriBrod
#4happyscrub1Posted 8/29/2013 9:13:57 PM
patribrod posted...
I sometimes wish it was more unified like PSN or XBL... Don't get me wrong, I love me my Steam and still think it's the most feature rich platform of all. But what annoys me is that now I can't keep a &?*$*& game under the same client anymore. Between Origin, Steam, uPlay, MMOs, Battle.net, GFWL (thankfully going away) Sims Online, I'm at a lost.

Would you rather put a disk in your computer for every different game you have again?
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#5SteamsterPosted 8/29/2013 9:15:09 PM
It never bothers me.

It's not ideal, but I just can't bring myself to get upset over such petty things. It's a few extra applications I have to launch, and the only one that's ever personally given me any inconveniences outside of a few moments is GFWL - and we all know where that's gone.
#6patribrod(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 9:18:37 PM
Some are not too invasive. But for example let's say I want to play FC3 from my couch using Big Picture, I have to launch uPlay first which tabs me out of of BP. The problem would be solved if I could actually just launch uPlay on windows startup, but you can't. Same goes for GFWL. And then you have to have a SECOND account to launch that same game. Comon.
---
#7SteamsterPosted 8/29/2013 9:20:36 PM
I'm just happy to be living in an era where I can play games like Far Cry 3 on my PC from my couch with a controller.

Not ideal - but I can deal with it.
#8KillingMachinePosted 8/29/2013 9:23:39 PM
In a perfect world, all games would be DRM free and people would use an optional client like Raptr for game management, matchmaking and social features. The best way to eliminate crappy DRM is not to support it with your money.
#9r7gerrabbitPosted 8/29/2013 9:29:39 PM
That is the exact reason I prefer PC gaming. There is competition.
Every PC retailer has crazy sales, they are not just limited to Steam. Everyone wants your business and they do everything they can to ensure that you purchase from them.

Consoles are locked down DRM ridden pieces of garbage. Everything you do on them is tightly controlled by the owner. I like to compare them to Apple products. Youre stuck using one system and the company tells you how you can use your own hardware.

PC is an open platform and anyone can do anything. Screw corporate control over the entire thing. If you want my business then work for it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#10JigSawXPosted 8/29/2013 9:30:05 PM
KillingMachine posted...
In a perfect world, all games would be DRM free and people would use an optional client like Raptr for game management, matchmaking and social features. The best way to eliminate crappy DRM is not to support it with your money.

stop whining.