This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

All these DRMs and clients are starting to annoy me...

#21SteamsterPosted 8/29/2013 10:12:54 PM
SavageDonzilla posted...
I use Steam and Origin. When I find games on sale using cheapshark.com I tend to make sure its DRM is one or the other. The only games I have that aren't from those 2 are the D&D games I purchased from GOG.

I ran into the issue of having to sign in/create an account a few weeks back with Two Worlds 2. I created a s*** email, with hopes that they would see it cause that irritated me. I've been leary about picking up any of the AC games or Far Cry 3 due to Ubisoft for the same reason. GFWL didn't bother me so much as I've had an Xbox account since 2004.

I don't really know why people don't like Uplay. I've never had any issues with it, and Ubisoft admitting they were wrong about always-online-DRM was something I've been more than happy to support them for.
#22claytonbuckleyPosted 8/30/2013 1:18:08 AM
I use Steam. Recently got Origin for 1 game, but unless i actually play that game sometime soon, i'll probably get rid of it again.

Your problem though, seem to me it's a personal problem. If you have too many game clients and stuff, get rid of some of them. or do what the other guy said before. get rid of it all, go buy a console and have fun switching discs for every game. Clearly easier.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/somonah/
#23SteamsterPosted 8/30/2013 1:27:00 AM
claytonbuckley posted...
I use Steam. Recently got Origin for 1 game, but unless i actually play that game sometime soon, i'll probably get rid of it again.

Your problem though, seem to me it's a personal problem. If you have too many game clients and stuff, get rid of some of them. or do what the other guy said before. get rid of it all, go buy a console and have fun switching discs for every game. Clearly easier.

Better yet is just deal with the few moments of inconvenience.

Even if you have to bring your keyboard out onto the couch or sit and look at an extra loading screen for fifteen seconds, it's just not that big of a deal unless you have some serious time management issues or your computer is such a POS that it can't handle the extra "load."
#24Lum_YatsuraPosted 8/30/2013 1:29:45 AM
The market will decide. If a client is deemed unprofitable eventually most companies have to drop it.
---
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#25stalker_sanPosted 8/30/2013 2:17:05 AM
r7gerrabbit posted...
That is the exact reason I prefer PC gaming. There is competition.
Every PC retailer has crazy sales, they are not just limited to Steam. Everyone wants your business and they do everything they can to ensure that you purchase from them.

Consoles are locked down DRM ridden pieces of garbage. Everything you do on them is tightly controlled by the owner. I like to compare them to Apple products. Youre stuck using one system and the company tells you how you can use your own hardware.

PC is an open platform and anyone can do anything. Screw corporate control over the entire thing. If you want my business then work for it.

So, hardware restricting what software it can run is bad, but software requiring a client to be run (for the same reasons) is okay? PC gamers and their double standards...

Also, PC no longer is an open platform. Most games nowadays have some form of DRM, which is quite the opposite of an open platform.

And guess what, there is also competition on consoles. I can buy my physical games wherever I want.
---
Games in gamer's hands, to ensure our freedom! Against DRM, Digital Distribution and Steam!!!
Just pretend Bravely Default is the real Final Fantasy XV
#26TimePharaohPosted 8/30/2013 2:54:07 AM(edited)
stalker_san posted...
And guess what, there is also competition on consoles. I can buy my physical games wherever I want.

That's....not the same thing.

And you probably think Steam is DRM lol.

But yes, software locking is about a million times better. Remember when if your 360 broke, you could no longer use any digital games you purchased on a new console unless you were connected online? Great times right? Or oh, your account is banned, welp no more games for you.

Oh and FYI, the majority of PC games do not have DRM. And, lots of the ones with DRM, have DRM free versions, so....
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#27stalker_sanPosted 8/30/2013 3:52:06 AM(edited)
TimePharaoh posted...
stalker_san posted...

But yes, software locking is about a million times better. Remember when if your 360 broke, you could no longer use any digital games you purchased on a new console unless you were connected online? Great times right? Or oh, your account is banned, welp no more games for you.

Oh and FYI, the majority of PC games do not have DRM. And, lots of the ones with DRM, have DRM free versions, so....

Steam is DRM. It's even in Wikipedia's definition, just read it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28software%29

I don't have a 360. And I don't buy digital at all. So, no, I don't remember that. I do know, however, that GFWL games will be unplayable because the service shuts down. So, whats better, a game lost for all time, or having to rebuy your console?

Yeah, if you count the millions of mediocre indie games or old games from times before there was DRM. Still, there is practically no non-indie game which is DRM-free (with a few exceptions, like CD Project games).

Also, explain the practical difference between competiton of physical retailers and digital distributors.
---
Games in gamer's hands, to ensure our freedom! Against DRM, Digital Distribution and Steam!!!
Just pretend Bravely Default is the real Final Fantasy XV
#28stalker_sanPosted 8/30/2013 3:51:13 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#290cu_87Posted 8/30/2013 3:53:46 AM
Steam is all I need and I refuse to buy any game that uses another DRM client. Especially Origin gets ignored.
#30TimePharaohPosted 8/30/2013 4:02:41 AM(edited)
stalker_san posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
stalker_san posted...

Steam is DRM. It's even in Wikipedia's definition, just read it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28software%29

I don't have a 360. And I don't buy digital at all. So, no, I don't remember that. I do know, however, that GFWL games will be unplayable because the service shuts down. So, whats better, a game lost for all time, or having to rebuy your console?

Yeah, if you count the millions of mediocre indie games or old games from times before there was DRM. Still, there is practically no non-indie game which is DRM-free (with a few exceptions, like CD Project games).

Also, explain the practical difference between competiton of physical retailers and digital distributors.

The very link you posted says it's not DRM. Lrn2read?

Steam is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation.

Get it? It's both. Steamworks is DRM, and Steam=/=Steamworks. Hundreds of games on Steam don't even require Steam to be installed in order for them to be run....so how is that DRM exactly?

GOG has hundreds of non-indie, non DRM games. And here, I'll list some more for you if you want

Metro 2033
Darksiders/2
Red Factions
System Shock 2
Morrowind/Oblivion
Saints Row 2/3 (maybe 4, don't have it)
Warhammer series
Deus Ex (entire series)
Just Cause 2
Darkness 2
Gothic series
Total War serie
Hitman series

Hundreds more (recently) I don't feel like checking because I'm sure you get it.

Oh, and the GFWL thing? Literally 100% unconfirmed, the place it came from (and was removed, because they realized it was worded poorly) said the ONLINE SERVERS for ONE GAME would not longer be active. No one has said the games can't be used. And 90% of GFWL games already run without GFWL. Dark Souls, FO3, they all run fine without it, and many other games are getting it patched out anyway so....no?
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png