This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Huh. Does anyone else prefer Origin?

#1AlkVelronPosted 8/30/2013 4:35:23 AM
Only in some ways, I mean. I've been using it for a week now due to getting the recent Origin Humble Bundle, and I'm somewhat surprised after seeing it get so much hate. I prefer Steam's chat system, workshop features, and sales of course. But I like the simplicity of Origin's design; it doesn't feel cluttered, being more streamlined. It also seems a lot faster than Steam as an application.
---
XBL/PSN/STEAM Account Name - NEREVAR117
"If this is the chosen way, then there's nothing left to say."
#2reincarnator07Posted 8/30/2013 4:37:44 AM
I prefer Steam, but I've been on Steam since 08. Ignoring the fact that EA owns it, there is nothing wrong with Origin.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#3fakewarsPosted 8/30/2013 4:44:42 AM
reincarnator07 posted...
I prefer Steam, but I've been on Steam since 08. Ignoring the fact that EA owns it, there is nothing wrong with Origin.

There is nothing wrong with EA
---
"The heads of peasants are much better as footballs."
~Ningishzida
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/30/2013 4:52:43 AM(edited)
I still prefer Steam, but I also remember Steam when things were not quite as smooth as they are now. Steam has come a long way from what it was when it first launched. In that respect I think the new download services are doing a pretty good job (they have to, when the main competitor essentially works almost without flaws).

Over time, I think the few things I dislike about Origin (basically a lack of features rather than anything regarding the interface or how the service works in general) will be ironed out over time. No doubt, in a few years we will end up with multiple services that do what they are supposed to do without many issues. The thing that is more of an issue to me is what it means if not only the production, but also the selling of games is controlled almost exclusively by big publishers.

When it comes to the service and how an application like Steam, Origin or Battle.net works, I am pretty positive and am convinced it will help promote PC gaming and make it more convenient and accessible to the consumer. But when it comes to what it might mean for for the future of the industry, I am not nearly as excited.

I will say this. As a consumer, I prefer there to be multiple download services that can compete with each other. Ideally, I would want there to be a large popular download service that is not tied to a publisher as well. In that sense, I do not necessarily see origin as a bad thing. The only way origin is inconvenient to me is that they make it hard to keep your gaming library, accounts, friendslist etc. in one application. I see the rational behind making games exclusive, especially when trying to get a download service of the ground. However, for the consumer it would be better if games were released on all download services rather than being exclusive to just one of them.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#5happyscrub1Posted 8/30/2013 5:31:38 AM(edited)
I like Origin better but steam offers more stuff... but it's more stuff I don't care for.

The biggest is the forums. I always find myself on gamefaqs anyway. Steam forums are barely active compared to here.

Besides having to prove that I had the hard achievements on L4D2, I never had the need to show any game achievements.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#6DragnfyrPosted 8/30/2013 6:18:01 AM
If you want a streamlined Steam then just switch into compact mode.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
#7TropicMoon10Posted 8/30/2013 6:23:38 AM(edited)
I'm in Germany right now and that means I have to use Origin's regional store. That's not the problem - Steam's the same. What the problem is, is that, unlike Steam, Origin doesn't give you the option of changing the store's language to english. And that bugs me. Enough to not want to use it at all.

Also Origin seems much slower for me than Steam.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#8PraetorXynPosted 8/30/2013 8:21:41 AM
TropicMoon10 posted...
I'm in Germany right now and that means I have to use Origin's regional store. That's not the problem - Steam's the same. What the problem is, is that, unlike Steam, Origin doesn't give you the option of changing the store's language to english. And that bugs me. Enough to not want to use it at all.

Also Origin seems much slower for me than Steam.

At least in Germany you get the "good" EULA.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#9squidgy617Posted 8/30/2013 8:27:45 AM
fakewars posted...
reincarnator07 posted...

There is nothing wrong with EA

This statement is bad and you should feel bad.
#10Incendia_IntusPosted 8/30/2013 8:29:48 AM
I really dislike it, though I haven't tried it again for quite a while. Browsing the store was kind of a cluster****, the client kept crashing on me, downloads wouldn't finish... I haven't logged in for quite a while though, so perhaps that stuff was fixed. I don't plan on using it anymore either way, though.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W