This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help please - 80C + when playing?

#11YumeOMiru(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 12:54:27 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
YumeOMiru posted...
Appreciate your suggestion very much. I do believe I lack the skill to carry out the "transplant" though.

So right now, Iīm asking for your opinion, from your experience, will my computer (CPU) be able to maintain itīs quality on playing game on high settings without hickups(current games, like I do now) for another 5+ years? Or will the performance drop noticeably in the coming year?

Letīs say, I can play Tomb Raider (without the hair effect) and FFXIV on max settings without any problems at all in stable 50-60 FPS, 1920x1080 right now. Will I still be able to play the same games on the same settings 5 year from now? Or will the heat kill the computer steady and gradually?

Is exposing the GPU to 80-90C very dangerous? On the Geforce Nvidia site, they list 95C is the max tolerable temperature.

And last but not least. 87% fan speed, is that normal or is it too much? Should I adjust the speed, or will that just make the GPU more hot?

TL;DR

Can I maintain the computers performance without doing anything? Since thereīs no problem now, just donīt know if things will start to melt in the future.

Srry for the noob questions.

Well....
my 9600gt will run at 90c, on burn test it hits 100c.
It has been fine, I have been using it since 2009.

But the tech is very different between our cards, so I don't know for sure.

I looked it up, yours can take another 10C more than mine before, I guess melting.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9600-gt/specifications

Do you get 90C daily? How often do you play, and how long on average are your sessions?
Very thankful for an answer.
---
Having a dream is essential to live.
#12SinisterSlayPosted 8/30/2013 12:59:03 PM(edited)
YumeOMiru posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
YumeOMiru posted...
Appreciate your suggestion very much. I do believe I lack the skill to carry out the "transplant" though.

So right now, Iīm asking for your opinion, from your experience, will my computer (CPU) be able to maintain itīs quality on playing game on high settings without hickups(current games, like I do now) for another 5+ years? Or will the performance drop noticeably in the coming year?

Letīs say, I can play Tomb Raider (without the hair effect) and FFXIV on max settings without any problems at all in stable 50-60 FPS, 1920x1080 right now. Will I still be able to play the same games on the same settings 5 year from now? Or will the heat kill the computer steady and gradually?

Is exposing the GPU to 80-90C very dangerous? On the Geforce Nvidia site, they list 95C is the max tolerable temperature.

And last but not least. 87% fan speed, is that normal or is it too much? Should I adjust the speed, or will that just make the GPU more hot?

TL;DR

Can I maintain the computers performance without doing anything? Since thereīs no problem now, just donīt know if things will start to melt in the future.

Srry for the noob questions.

Well....
my 9600gt will run at 90c, on burn test it hits 100c.
It has been fine, I have been using it since 2009.

But the tech is very different between our cards, so I don't know for sure.

I looked it up, yours can take another 10C more than mine before, I guess melting.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9600-gt/specifications

Do you get 90C daily? How often do you play, and how long on average are your sessions?
Very thankful for an answer.

Much less than they used to be... but back in the day....
I used to just leave games like Atlantica running for weeks at a time and just turn the monitor off when I went to bed.

Today that desktop is mostly used for movies, and the occasional indie game.
I don't even monitor the temperatures anymore.
Oh, and I'm overclocking from 650 to 727 on core and 900 to 1033 on memory with stock cooling.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#13YumeOMiru(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 1:15:29 PM
Would you say your computer is running the same game just as smooth as then?
---
#14SinisterSlayPosted 8/30/2013 1:19:50 PM
YumeOMiru posted...
Would you say your computer is running the same game just as smooth as then?

Well it still exceeds what consoles can do.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=167969481

I'd say it's running about the same as it did before.
Just a lot dustier because I am way to lazy to clean it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#15NicodimusPosted 8/30/2013 2:54:07 PM
Temps in the 80s are within acceptable limits for GPUs, but in general, the cooler the better. It's not an emergency, but it's not really ideal either. It could last years that way, it's hard to say.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#16macmahon187Posted 8/30/2013 7:00:47 PM
I had a similar problem with my 6970. It's idol temp was 62°Đ and was always around 82° to 87° after gaming. I took it apart, cleaned off the thermal compound and replaced it with arctic silver. Dropped my temps by 12 to 15°.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/30/2013 7:18:46 PM
Your GPU is rated for 95~c. It'll be fine. Pretty normal temps for a closed up case like that. My EVGA 660OC sits around 80c max, but that's after unlocking the fan speed so it can go above 70%, and the EVGA stock HS is actually slightly better.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#18YumeOMiru(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 1:39:06 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Your GPU is rated for 95~c. It'll be fine. Pretty normal temps for a closed up case like that. My EVGA 660OC sits around 80c max, but that's after unlocking the fan speed so it can go above 70%, and the EVGA stock HS is actually slightly better.

Thank you guys/gals very much. I feel reassured to continue playing FFXIV:AA.

*Bows
---