This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SDD Worth it?

#21Fade2black001Posted 8/30/2013 2:20:52 PM
Nicodimus posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Nicodimus posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
People who own SSD's IMO are very impatient people and have problems waiting just a few seconds long for things.

People who don't own SSD's IMO are very strange people who for some reason like wasting their time looking at loading screens all day.

What are you smoking? No game has ever taken more than 5secs to load on my PC not even Skyrim

First of all, I don't believe you.

Second of all, once the game is loaded (even in Skyrim, pay attention now) when you zone from one area to another, there are lengthy loading screens as well (enjoy spinning those objects and reading 3 ProTips every time you enter or exit a town or a cave?)

Also, how about Windows? How about Photoshop? How about any number of other programs that make you sit there and wait with a HDD while they slowly load up?

You're really on the losing side of the argument that less waiting time is bad. Everyone values their time and would rather things happen more quickly than less quickly.

We're talking seconds here.... Also ok so I lied and round down for the loading time on Skyrim. The longest loading times I have on Skyrim are 8 seconds. Not that big of a deal. Also I never shut down my system. I do not use Photoshop and it takes about a min to full boot my system. SSD can boot it up in like what 15 seconds on average? If you are a person that shuts down their system often I can see one coming in handy but you're talking about that time is valuable. All these seconds do add up but over a course of a year you might of only lost 2-3hours tops. Big whoopie do.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#22TehPwnzererPosted 8/30/2013 2:32:41 PM
Nicodimus posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...
Personally, I don't think it's worth it. I just have one small SSD for the OS bootup and save all of my programs and games on to a 2TB hard drive. As a man of value, I just can't justify spending more money on less space for the sake of an admittedly fast speed. Couple that with the fact that SSDs don't last as long as standard hard drives.

Actions speak louder than words. You say it's not worth it, but you own one. If it really wasn't worth it, you'd get rid of it, logically.

Why would I get rid of something I already paid for? There's nothing wrong with it. It was the first time I ever used an SSD and yes, there is a very noticeable difference in speed, but is it worth it? The answer is still no.
#23NicodimusPosted 8/30/2013 2:38:22 PM
TehPwnzerer posted...
Nicodimus posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...
Personally, I don't think it's worth it. I just have one small SSD for the OS bootup and save all of my programs and games on to a 2TB hard drive. As a man of value, I just can't justify spending more money on less space for the sake of an admittedly fast speed. Couple that with the fact that SSDs don't last as long as standard hard drives.

Actions speak louder than words. You say it's not worth it, but you own one. If it really wasn't worth it, you'd get rid of it, logically.

Why would I get rid of something I already paid for? There's nothing wrong with it. It was the first time I ever used an SSD and yes, there is a very noticeable difference in speed, but is it worth it? The answer is still no.

The same reason you would get rid of a camera or gaming console or TV or any piece of electronics that you didn't find to be satisfactory. You can always sell these things and put the money towards something that you like better. That's why.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#24TehPwnzererPosted 8/30/2013 2:47:09 PM
Nicodimus posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...
Nicodimus posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...

The same reason you would get rid of a camera or gaming console or TV or any piece of electronics that you didn't find to be satisfactory. You can always sell these things and put the money towards something that you like better. That's why.

That's you. I'm not the kind of person to sell things after I buy them. I more than often give away products that I don't use anymore to thrift stores so they can make a profit off of it. I don't have the time or patience to go looking around to find a buyer for things I don't want. And like I said, there's nothing wrong with the SSD. It's not something that I consider "unsatisfactory", It works like a dream, but if the question is "is it worth the money", the answer is no.
#25ShebeskiiPosted 8/30/2013 5:26:46 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
I been saying it all along about SSD's. If you are an insanely impatient person and cant wait a few extra seconds more for things. Then by all means get one. Otherwise they're a waste of money and not worth it. People who own SSD's IMO are very impatient people and have problems waiting just a few seconds long for things.

This poster spends hundreds of dollars on a system to watch it walk when it can run.

I'll enjoy the processing power and RAM I purchased while you can watch it behave like a computer from 07. Thanks.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#26Fade2black001Posted 8/30/2013 5:36:11 PM
Shebeskii posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
I been saying it all along about SSD's. If you are an insanely impatient person and cant wait a few extra seconds more for things. Then by all means get one. Otherwise they're a waste of money and not worth it. People who own SSD's IMO are very impatient people and have problems waiting just a few seconds long for things.

This poster spends hundreds of dollars on a system to watch it walk when it can run.

I'll enjoy the processing power and RAM I purchased while you can watch it behave like a computer from 07. Thanks.

What are you smoking? No seriously what the hell are you smoking? Cause I want some of it
---
#27ShebeskiiPosted 8/30/2013 7:22:52 PM(edited)
Fade2black001 posted...
Shebeskii posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

What are you smoking? No seriously what the hell are you smoking? Cause I want some of it

HDDs are the limiting factor when it comes to desktop and app smoothness. A i5 760 with 8GB of RAM and SSD is going to run rings around an i7 3770K with 16GB of RAM and an HDD.

Yeah, the second system will win when it comes to raw computing and is a better computer by far, but the former system will be more responsive and be plainly much faster to "use".

The point is, new systems aren't much faster than they were years ago when it comes to responsiveness, if at all, without an SSD.

You can keep thinking an SSD is just boot times.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#28Fade2black001Posted 8/30/2013 7:27:04 PM
Shebeskii posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Shebeskii posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

HDDs are the limiting factor when it comes to desktop and app smoothness. A i5 760 with 8GB of RAM and SSD is going to run rings around an i7 3770K with 16GB of RAM and an HDD.

Yeah, the second system will win when it comes to raw computing and is a better computer by far, but the former system will be more responsive and be plainly much faster to "use".

The point is, new systems aren't much faster than they were years ago when it comes to responsiveness, if at all, without an SSD.

No where did I ever say it was JUST for boot times. Do you even read? Also my mechanical drive is plenty smooth to loading apps. I also thing you pulling this info out of your ass as well. I know how SSDs work and I know they are faster but you acting like an SSD is night and day compared to a Mechanical and ts not. There is a definite speed different but its not as great as you make it out to be.
---
#29ShebeskiiPosted 8/30/2013 7:32:48 PM(edited)
Fade2black001 posted...
Shebeskii posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Shebeskii posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

No where did I ever say it was JUST for boot times. Do you even read? Also my mechanical drive is plenty smooth to loading apps. I also thing you pulling this info out of your ass as well. I know how SSDs work and I know they are faster but you acting like an SSD is night and day compared to a Mechanical and ts not. There is a definite speed different but its not as great as you make it out to be.

It's a large list of small and large differences. The cumulative effect is significant.

I haven't seen a single person with a 128GB or larger quality SSD say it isn't great. A small low budget 64GB may not show as much benefit due to it being so restrictive and not as quick.

Do you have an SSD? What model?
---
#30Fade2black001Posted 8/30/2013 7:39:00 PM
No but I used one. I will never own a SSD as they are useless to me. I will never buy one unless I can get a TB one for like 100 bucks. Otherwise I am not going to deal with it as its not worth it.
---