This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SDD Worth it?

#41myztikricePosted 8/30/2013 11:03:39 PM
I don't think SSDs are worth it, but good lord 10 second loading times?
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so ****in' hysterical.
#42Fade2black001Posted 8/31/2013 4:18:25 AM
Money spent on a SSD is better off to spend it elsewhere such as RAM, GPU or even CPU. Now that will be a lot more of a upgrade than getting an SSD.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#43ShebeskiiPosted 8/31/2013 6:42:59 AM(edited)
Fade2black001 posted...
Money spent on a SSD is better off to spend it elsewhere such as RAM, GPU or even CPU. Now that will be a lot more of a upgrade than getting an SSD.

Depends on what you're doing.

I enjoy having a responsive, modern system.

Just because the odd game doesn't benefit doesn't mean the system on a whole won't perform much better.

You've never owned one and don't know what you're missing. The AC analogy was a good one. You don't need it, but it is pretty damn nice.

You honestly have no experience and yet you're make sweeping judgements. The baseness of your arguments make you a bore. This topic should die.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#44ElfergosPosted 8/31/2013 9:06:36 AM
Ok Guys, so currently my laptop has 2x 750GB 7200RPM HDD's with an 8GB SDD XpressCache.

Now boot times take about 15 seconds to be completely started and on the desktop, probably slightly less if I removed password.

Now seeing as I've never had an SSD I am looking for your opinions on whether or not I'd get a faster time than that?

Would it be worth sacrificing the storage space for maybe a 256GB SSD, only issue is I have used about 700GB across both drive up to now..

So, would it be worth it?

TBH, I don't know how you are booting that fast without an SSD, are you going to see marked improvement over 15 seconds? You could 'maybe' shave a couple of seconds off, whats the point? Just remove the password and the GUI boot.