This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to build a computer for around $300-$350?

#1O_Town_RulezPosted 8/30/2013 2:27:15 PM(edited)
My brother just wants a simple built computer, he just wants it to be for normal everyday stuff (Browsing the Internet, checking e-mails, letting his son play some games on it). How much would it run me to build one?

EDIT: This is NOT a gaming computer, just a normal PC. The games his son will be playing will be those educational websites for 3-5 year olds.
---
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Orlando Magic - Off-Season
#2xanthan1Posted 8/30/2013 2:26:50 PM
Do you already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor for it?
#3O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 2:27:59 PM
xanthan1 posted...
Do you already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor for it?

Yes, he has those. I also would have to look at what he has in his old computer that we can use for it.
---
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
#4gsf4lyfePosted 8/30/2013 2:29:06 PM
At that price point you might as well just get a prebuilt unless you really like building pc's.
---
FX-6300 @ 4.3ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#5O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 2:30:38 PM
gsf4lyfe posted...
At that price point you might as well just get a prebuilt unless you really like building pc's.

I told him that, but he said he'd rather me build him a computer.

I'm not sure what he has in the computer, but I might be able to recycle the ram and hard drive. If the hard drive has an OS on it, then I can use that too.
---
#6GreenMage7Posted 8/30/2013 2:32:07 PM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...

I'm not sure what he has in the computer, but I might be able to recycle the ram and hard drive. If the hard drive has an OS on it, then I can use that too.

What is he actually trying to use this computer for? That is a pretty important question. Also, if you need an the operating system it's going to add on approximately $90 on top of the parts unless he is comfortable using Linux.
#7BDSMPosted 8/30/2013 2:34:35 PM
Yes.

With some caveats.

To keep the price that low you'd want to have a monitor and OS (an old windows 7 key would be nice) already.

Mouse and keyboard would be a bonus too, but those are not as costly as a new (legal) OS and monitor.

Does it HAVE to be a desktop? If you could go $400 he could get a functional laptop that would fit his needs and even do some light (non-educational) gaming. Even if gaming isn't his goal, it would last him a good while.

Something like this is a pretty good deal at $399 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-K55N-DB81-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00COR29XI/ref=amtcd_B00B7K11MI_B00COR29XI/183-9922220-4731112
---
Games I've played where you have non-consensual sex with your step-sister while half drowning her in a kitchen sink: 1
#8O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 2:35:49 PM
GreenMage7 posted...
O_Town_Rulez posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...

What is he actually trying to use this computer for? That is a pretty important question. Also, if you need an the operating system it's going to add on approximately $90 on top of the parts unless he is comfortable using Linux.

Like I said, a basic computer. I told him to just buy a pre-built one.
---
#9BadProfessionalPosted 8/30/2013 2:42:13 PM
http://www.ecollegepc.com/

AMD Richland Configurator with the following options:

CPU: AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz Dual-Core CPU
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
Hard Drive 1: 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand)
Optical Drive (optional): 24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW w/Nero

$369
---
Sarcasm passes for serious here.
Serious passes for sarcasm here.
#10PhilOnDezPosted 8/30/2013 3:13:02 PM
It's pretty much impossible to beat prebuilts at that price range unless you have no intention of using the included windows key. For $350 you can make a pentium/b75 build or just buy an i3 system. for a little more you can make an APU build. For a little more than that you can buy a decent laptop.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez