This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to build a computer for around $300-$350?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it possible to build a computer for around $300-$350?

User Info: O_Town_Rulez

O_Town_Rulez
3 years ago#1
My brother just wants a simple built computer, he just wants it to be for normal everyday stuff (Browsing the Internet, checking e-mails, letting his son play some games on it). How much would it run me to build one?

EDIT: This is NOT a gaming computer, just a normal PC. The games his son will be playing will be those educational websites for 3-5 year olds.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Orlando Magic - Off-Season

User Info: xanthan1

xanthan1
3 years ago#2
Do you already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor for it?

O_Town_Rulez
3 years ago#3
xanthan1 posted...
Do you already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor for it?

Yes, he has those. I also would have to look at what he has in his old computer that we can use for it.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)

User Info: gsf4lyfe

gsf4lyfe
3 years ago#4
At that price point you might as well just get a prebuilt unless you really like building pc's.
FX-6300 @ 4.3ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe

O_Town_Rulez
3 years ago#5
gsf4lyfe posted...
At that price point you might as well just get a prebuilt unless you really like building pc's.

I told him that, but he said he'd rather me build him a computer.

I'm not sure what he has in the computer, but I might be able to recycle the ram and hard drive. If the hard drive has an OS on it, then I can use that too.

User Info: GreenMage7

GreenMage7
3 years ago#6
O_Town_Rulez posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...

I'm not sure what he has in the computer, but I might be able to recycle the ram and hard drive. If the hard drive has an OS on it, then I can use that too.

What is he actually trying to use this computer for? That is a pretty important question. Also, if you need an the operating system it's going to add on approximately $90 on top of the parts unless he is comfortable using Linux.

User Info: BDSM

BDSM
3 years ago#7
Yes.

With some caveats.

To keep the price that low you'd want to have a monitor and OS (an old windows 7 key would be nice) already.

Mouse and keyboard would be a bonus too, but those are not as costly as a new (legal) OS and monitor.

Does it HAVE to be a desktop? If you could go $400 he could get a functional laptop that would fit his needs and even do some light (non-educational) gaming. Even if gaming isn't his goal, it would last him a good while.

Something like this is a pretty good deal at $399 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-K55N-DB81-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00COR29XI/ref=amtcd_B00B7K11MI_B00COR29XI/183-9922220-4731112
Games I've played where you have non-consensual sex with your step-sister while half drowning her in a kitchen sink: 1

O_Town_Rulez
3 years ago#8
GreenMage7 posted...
O_Town_Rulez posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...

What is he actually trying to use this computer for? That is a pretty important question. Also, if you need an the operating system it's going to add on approximately $90 on top of the parts unless he is comfortable using Linux.

Like I said, a basic computer. I told him to just buy a pre-built one.

User Info: BadProfessional

BadProfessional
3 years ago#9
http://www.ecollegepc.com/

AMD Richland Configurator with the following options:

CPU: AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz Dual-Core CPU
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
Hard Drive 1: 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand)
Optical Drive (optional): 24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW w/Nero

$369
Sarcasm passes for serious here.
Serious passes for sarcasm here.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#10
It's pretty much impossible to beat prebuilts at that price range unless you have no intention of using the included windows key. For $350 you can make a pentium/b75 build or just buy an i3 system. for a little more you can make an APU build. For a little more than that you can buy a decent laptop.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it possible to build a computer for around $300-$350?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived