This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Logitch Laser Mouse Unresponsive On 90% of Surfaces

#1JirynPosted 8/30/2013 4:53:30 PM
I bought a Logitech MK520 Mouse and Keyboard set for my laptop about a year ago, and after the first month the mouse became unresponsive unless it was set on specific surfaces.

I changed the batteries regularly, and originally used it on my couch while I watched tv and surfed the web. After the first month it wouldn't work on hard surfaces, tables, desk, mouse pads, practically anything. The only thing it would work on were white surfaces, oddly I found the best being a bleached white pillow case.

Even then the responsiveness was dropping. Eventually it barely registered and I stopped using the mouse all together. I found blowing the eye hole out with compressed air once a week would help it function longer but.. it's just a pain in the ass.

Has anyone else encountered problems with laser mice, or know how to fix this?
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#2ScroePosted 8/30/2013 4:57:03 PM
Laser mice are crap
---
Don't hinder Jinder
I'm a white girl with nice boobs
#3Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 4:59:41 PM
Scroe posted...
Laser mice are crap

That's what I quickly began to think as well.
Optical seem so much more reliable.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#4Snuckie7Posted 8/30/2013 5:03:53 PM
Laser mice are actually supposed to track better on a greater variety of surfaces, and optical sensors are pickier about the surface you use it on. I think your sensor is just borked.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#5Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 7:44:01 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
Laser mice are actually supposed to track better on a greater variety of surfaces, and optical sensors are pickier about the surface you use it on. I think your sensor is just borked.

I heard the opposite, that laser mice need to be on certain surfaces while optical do not.
All I know is my optic works on a chair cushion or arm rest and the laser did not...
---
#62Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 8/30/2013 7:45:36 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
Snuckie7 posted...

I heard the opposite, that laser mice need to be on certain surfaces while optical do not.
All I know is my optic works on a chair cushion or arm rest and the laser did not...

I have a laser mouse and it works on pretty much everything I've tried, cloth, wood, metal, etc. It's probably just down to the individual mouse.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#7DARQ MXPosted 8/30/2013 8:14:13 PM
Scroe posted...
Laser mice are crap

no... Logitech mice are crap... at least after a few years anyway.
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS
#8Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 9:10:03 PM
DARQ MX posted...
Scroe posted...
Laser mice are crap

no... Logitech mice are crap... at least after a few years anyway.

My wired optic mouse... has literally been through hell and back and keeps working, all the stickers and labels and stamps are rubbed off but.. it works amazing

The laser, no.
---
#9GarquillPosted 8/30/2013 9:14:41 PM
optical sensors are significantly better than laser sensors

none of the best mice sensors are laser
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#10Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 10:27:32 PM
Garquille14 posted...
optical sensors are significantly better than laser sensors

none of the best mice sensors are laser

Which is hilarious because Logitech sells the laser stuff like it's the top of the line best stuff.
Even charges a premium.
---