This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Civilization IV a good place to start learning about 4x games?

#1HaxnStashPosted 8/30/2013 6:57:38 PM
The complete collection is very cheap on amazon atm. I've always wanted to try out and maybe learn to play the Civilization games. Is it newb friendly?

The game close to it that I played was Sins of a Solar Empire. But that's a mix of RTS and 4x at the same time and I never got the gist of it.
#22Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 8/30/2013 7:00:38 PM
Either IV or V will be a good start. If you get IV now definitely get V when it's on sale if you like it.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#3HighOnPhazonPosted 8/30/2013 8:24:47 PM
V is easier to learn. IV is still considered one of the deeper releases of the series.

I started with V, learned to love it. It's accessible enough for new comers yet deep enough to learn and start playing at higher levels once you become more accustomed to the gameplay.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB / Corsair TX650
#4kelemvorPosted 8/30/2013 8:43:54 PM
Civ 2 or Master of Orion 2 (if you can get them to work) are great introductions. I would say they are deeper than Civilization 5 but don't have the same "breadth"... if that makes sense. Pretty easy to learn though, especially Civ 2. MoO2 is a different kind of 4x game, more akin to Galactic Civilizations except with more intricate ship battles.

Civilzation IV and Alpha Centauri have both breadth and depth, and are some of the most rewarding 4x games you can play. Civ 5 is still good, I'm probably going to get the latest expansion this holiday weekend and sink some more time into it.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#5SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/30/2013 8:55:50 PM(edited)
Civ5 or Endless Space are the best to get started in. Most of the rest of them have layers of obfuscation to deal with, those two put everything on the table for you, and have excellent UI's.

Or Civ4 Colonization. Peole don't recommend that one enough.

Civ 4 is a pretty good place to start though.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#6MwulfPosted 8/30/2013 8:56:21 PM
Is Civilization a 4X game? I was under the impression 4X was RTS styled like Sins of a Solar Empire or Europa Universalis?

And, anyway, if you want to get into Civilization... the beginning and end is Civilization 5.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#7SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/30/2013 9:03:08 PM(edited)
Mwulf posted...
Is Civilization a 4X game? I was under the impression 4X was RTS styled like Sins of a Solar Empire or Europa Universalis?

And, anyway, if you want to get into Civilization... the beginning and end is Civilization 5.

Nah, SOASE is a RTS game heavilly inspired by 4X, and EU is a Grand Strategy game.

Civ1 is the ur-4X game.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#8MwulfPosted 8/30/2013 9:20:37 PM
...okay.

Honestly, I've been playing Strategy games since the first Age of Empires came out, and only started seeing the term 4X pop up recently. I've never really understood what it meant--why it warranted being an explicitly different thing from RTS or TBS.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#9The_Pig_HostagePosted 8/30/2013 9:36:04 PM
Civ V is all you need.

It's much more intuitive than IV.
#10ZukkusPosted 8/30/2013 9:47:09 PM
Civ V took the complexity from Civ IV and ripped it out. Civ IV isn't complicated by any means, but has deeper systems.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss