This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the best processor I can upgrade this old computer to?

#11redrum187Posted 9/1/2013 8:59:12 AM
i would guess the max limit of that dell would be 95W TDP cpus since most oems like HP and Dell skimp out and only support 95W especially on the lower end systems. you might want to ask at dell's support forums maybe another E521 owner could help you further.
---
i still haven't found what i'm looking for...
#12Jocko(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 9:26:45 AM
Yep I think you guys are right about the Athlon X2 6000+ being the best compatible processor. I found a couple of threads talking about my same situation:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260408-31-dell-e521-building-upgrading-systems-systems

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250684-28-upgrading-dell-dimesion-e521-question

Thank you Kokuei05. You're post made me trigger the idea of downloading and running CPU-Z to get the specific information I needed about my motherboard:

Socket AM2 (940)
Motherboard model 0ct103

Thank you OmegaDL50 for all the information you provided; it supports what the posters were saying on those threads. I already replaced the junk power supply a while back with a Corsair 430 watt that I got on sale for $20 so wattage is no problem.

Slayn - "If you were to put an Athlon X2 6000+, would it even be that much of a difference? Not sure if it's worth it unless you want to bother with the time and spend less than $50."

I'm not sure if it would be a night and day difference but honestly anything would help. And I have no problem with putting the time into. I haven't tinkered with any hardware in about a month so I'm getting the itch for a weekend project :)

Thanks for your feedback on the 6400+ Tommy2GoGo. In one of the threads I posted a couple of users were able to get a 6400+ to work on their E521 but there was no mention of their motherboard model so I'd be rolling the dice. Hell I might even get both the 6000 and 6400 if one doesn't work if I get them cheap enough.

So to sum up the stats on this computer currently:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
Radeon HD 6670 (upgraded from a GeForce 6800XT)
4 Gigs of DDR2 RAM
Corsair cx430 430 watt power supply (upgraded from the 305 watt stock Dell power supply)
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

My wife is using this for general web surfing including, facebook, youtube, email, MS Office and possibly some light gaming with some older games.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#13Jocko(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 9:51:35 AM
redrum187 posted...
i would guess the max limit of that dell would be 95W TDP cpus since most oems like HP and Dell skimp out and only support 95W especially on the lower end systems. you might want to ask at dell's support forums maybe another E521 owner could help you further.

That's a good point because the 6000+ is 89w and the 6400+ is 125w so I'll have to research a bit more.
---
#14Jocko(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 10:32:51 AM
I'm going to roll the dice with the 6400. My source is asking 10 which is more than fair considering how much they are selling for. I found some forum posts confirming that it works with my motherboard model but it runs hot with intensive usage. Since my wife will be doing basic browsing most of the time I don't think it will be an issue.
---