This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kickstarter by Keiji Inafune, Megaman Like game for the PC!

#1Pale HorsemanPosted 8/31/2013 6:58:11 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

I am supporting this just because it is a slap to Capcom's face and their reversal to give us a new Megaman game. Also, it is looks interesting doesn't hurt a bit either!
---
BreadGolem: We never killed Native Americans, they got sick!
#2DoramiPosted 8/31/2013 7:05:16 PM
This looks uncomfortably like a Chinese knockoff game. I wonder if it can make it through a copyright infringement claim from Capcom.

For the record, I'm not saying what he's doing is wrong. I'm commenting on whether it has sufficient legal standing to be worth supporting.
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
#3Pale Horseman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 7:10:45 PM
Well we will know soon enough over the week I guess lol
---
#4OmegaDL50Posted 8/31/2013 7:16:52 PM(edited)
Being similar is not warranted enough to be considered for copyright violation. Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html - sourced from here.

It isn't using Megaman characters or names or even the licenses. While it may have similar character designs (This is because Inafune does the designs himself and his art style is noticeable in this regard)

Using similar mechanics "i.e systems" as a Megaman game is not warrantied enough for copyright infringement.

Case in point, Metal Slug doesn't violate the Contra IP despite similar gameplay of platforming, shooting, etc. Just as many other similar games don't fall in this category as well.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#5SleepComaPosted 8/31/2013 7:14:46 PM
I want
---
Duck Butter
#6Hunter_mkPosted 8/31/2013 7:35:25 PM
W101 got away with similar character designs from VJ, same for Darksouls being too similar to Demonsouls, I don't see a problem here
---
RIP Xbox One 2013-2013
#7DoramiPosted 8/31/2013 7:37:01 PM
OmegaDL50 posted...
Being similar is not warranted enough to be considered for copyright violation. Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html - sourced from here.

It isn't using Megaman characters or names or even the licenses. While it may have similar character designs (This is because Inafune does the designs himself and his art style is noticeable in this regard).

There are two problems here:
1. the doctrine of substantial similarity: a test that the court can apply by showing the jury the two works then gauging their reaction (there are other methods. The appropriateness of the method I described is strongly questioned, but it hasn't been overturned).

2. Copyright extends to the rendered display, the underlying object code, and the source code. It's common for software companies to put programmers on projects not exactly the same as their previous ones from other companies, because it is difficult for programmers to avoid reusing parts of the code they used before and liked. This is a project that shares a lot of the staff with Mega Man.

And remember, Capcom doesn't have to win. They just need to present enough of a case to make the project financially unfeasible.
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
#8Marioface5Posted 8/31/2013 7:46:55 PM
Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing!
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#9Pale Horseman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 7:47:22 PM
Well the Kickstarter has already hit 150k, so it will be interesting to see Capcom's take on it. They will hit a PR storm if they do anything after this gets funded.
---
#10ThescyyPosted 8/31/2013 7:47:25 PM
Done, looks to be great if it's anywhere near as good as megaman.
---
| i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | SeaSonic M12II 850 | Fractal design R4 |