This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could someone clarify this for me? Corsair K70 question.

#1ajko000Posted 9/1/2013 12:30:10 AM
http://www.corsair.com/k70

So I'm new to Mechanical Keyboards, and I was literally about to post a "Does it come without the keycaps?" topic until I found that page. I was like, "I'm seeing two different keyboards, one with and one without... What?" Suppose that was my fault though :i.

I don't think those keycaps would be comfortable typing with, and I noticed they said that they can be removed, but is it one of those annoying tasks?

I mean, I might use them for gaming, but it seems it'd be annoying to have to keep applying and reapplying. Even then, I don't think it'd be all that comfortable to play with, I like the symmetry of a keyboard even when gaming, the only appealing thing is the grip-like surface I may be seeing.

Anyway, it seems like a good buy, and it seems to be a trusted brand, a popular brand, and a good choice.

Thoughts?

Oh, and the Cherry MX Brown seems to be ideal for me, slight tactile feedback and no sound, perfect for me really. I know Red is basically no feedback and no sound, and then Blue is both strong feedback and sound. Is Brown actually silent? I never really used the sound of the keys, in fact, they keyboard I'm using barely makes a noise unless I hit the Enter or Space keys. Seems redundant, I always knew I hit the key properly from the touch. Is Brown right for me?

I'm looking for a great optical mouse as well, and I'd prefer Corsair, but I don't really like how they are all extremely ugly, red, or too many buttons.
#2Knight2520Posted 9/1/2013 12:31:43 AM
Browns are not silent at all, unless you put O-rings on all your keys.
---
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6451/onyxsig.jpg
#3ajko000(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 1:03:28 AM
Knight2520 posted...
Browns are not silent at all, unless you put O-rings on all your keys.

Have I been mislead, it says it's silent?
#4Knight2520Posted 9/1/2013 1:19:54 AM(edited)
Read the product page again. It does not say the Browns are silent at all, just that there's no audible click like Blues have. When you bottom out, even with Browns, there is still a clacking noise that comes from the keys striking the keyboard. If you don't bottom out, they're fairly quiet, but there's still noise.

The difference between Browns and Reds is that the Browns require 40g, then later 50g at the bottom of the keystroke, of actuation force, while the Reds are completely linear and require 40g all the way through.

There's a keycap replacement tool that comes with it, and as far as I'm aware (at least with the tools I know of) it's pretty simple.
---
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6451/onyxsig.jpg
#5TivorPosted 9/1/2013 1:21:21 AM
There are two types of noise that you make when you press a key. The first is a "click" when you activate the switch. The second is a "thock" when you press the key as far as it will go and hit the bottom (or "bottom out," as it is called).

MX Brown switches are silent on the first part. They are not silent on the second part. For the second part, you need the O-ring dampener as the other poster said. But if you're already typing fairly silent with regular keyboards, then it probably isn't an issue. Just don't expect it to be "omg it's sooooooooooooo silent!!!!!" compared to the keyboard you already have.

Personally, I thought MX Brown would be perfect for me too, for the same reasons you listed. But then I had a chance to try out several different mechanical keyboards, and I was fairly underwhelmed by MX Brown. I ended up loving MX Blue, which I thought I was going to hate. MX Blue's clicks were loud as advertised, but they were also very satisfying. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with family members who are sensitive to such noise at night.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, reading about the MX switches and actually trying out MX switches are totally different experiences. I strongly recommend that you try and see if there's any store in your area where you can try out some mechanical keyboards. You don't want to make a purchase and then realize it's not the right switch for you.
---
Vin Scully, Herge, Ray K. Metzker, Arakawa Hiromu, Mori Kaoru, Steve Jobs, Miyazaki Hayao, Walt Disney, Depeche Mode, John Stockton. RESPECT.
#6johnny_payPosted 9/1/2013 3:55:38 AM
it comes with a tool to easily remove them you just push down then lift and the pop right off. i havent tried the keys but i assume you would get annoyed if you had to keep replacing them.
#7GipFacePosted 9/1/2013 5:43:01 AM(edited)
Blues get too much hate and are underrated
Greens are for people who loved the old IBM keyboards
Browns are overrated
Reds are love or hate
Blacks are try before you buy