This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

weird internet issue

#1sfcalimariPosted 9/1/2013 1:53:25 AM
I'm here in South Korea, where the internet is, well, nowhere as good as we're lead to believe by the media.

Anyway, pretty much everyday when I boot up my computer, I can't really get a connection going. I'll get a "connected to ____.com" message then a "waiting for _______.com" message which never leads to actually loading the webpage. If I keep hitting F5 I'll often get a "connection was reset" error message, either that or a weird "you are trying to download octet stream" message from my web browser, because apparently trying to load any website makes my web browser think I want to download whatever the hell an octet stream is. Sometimes I can't load any webpage, but oddly enough a lot of the time I can only load google.com and its related sites like Google News or Google Mail. But no other website on the planet, including Korean ones. Eventually if I just sit around hitting F5 over and over the connection will smooth itself out and I can start actually loading webpages normally, but it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour. Resetting my modem sometimes makes the connection ok but usually it doesn't improve anything.

Anyway, any ideas? I'm getting a connection, but it's like it's just not setting itself up properly, either in the modem or in my computer. When I use my laptop at my friend's place or at work, I sometimes get similar balkiness but nowhere as bad as with my home connection.

A tech is coming to look at it tomorrow, but since I don't speak any Korean and he won't speak any English, probably nothing will happen. Hopefully I can at least get him to replace the modem and see if that helps.
---
We cannot base our information on something mystical. It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.
#2Rolen47Posted 9/1/2013 5:10:01 AM
Whenever I have problems like that I open up a CMD prompt and try these commands:

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

netsh winsock reset
#3LordSeiferPosted 9/1/2013 5:18:01 AM(edited)
you can try setting the DNS to google, maybe your korean isp dns is bad

8.8.8.8 is the ip to set.

alternatively, could be anything, could just be your computer

edit just noticed what board this was on.
---
^ this
#4sfcalimari(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 11:55:14 PM
Rolen47 posted...
Whenever I have problems like that I open up a CMD prompt and try these commands:

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

netsh winsock reset

I think doing these might have fixed it. Hopefully.
---
We cannot base our information on something mystical. It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.