This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is my new hard drive dead or is it something else?

#1silvergokuZPosted 9/1/2013 2:57:44 AM
Just got a new Seagate 4tb(couldnt find Western Digital ones)

Took about 8 hours to format with my i7 so tried copying over most of my 3tb drive then left it transferring when I went to bed, 2 hours later went to check it and it said it couldnt find the drive then when I clicked ok it blue screened.

Rebooted and left it 10 minutes then went back to bed and came back another 3 hours later to find the same thing happened and pc wants to run checkdisc but freezes on boot when saying it has free space marked as allocated.

Is it the fact I wanted to transfer over 1tb of data or something else that crashed it, if so what is the best way to transfer it.
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#2Dirk85UKPosted 9/1/2013 3:02:36 AM
silvergokuZ posted...
Took about 8 hours to format with my i7

If you would have booted your computer with your windows installation disc and formatted it there, it would have only took a couple of seconds to format. lol
---
i5 2500 | 8Gb DDR3 | GTX 670 FTW | Asus P8 P67 | Intel 330 SSD | XFX 650W | Dell U2711
#3silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 6:45:37 AM
Dirk85UK posted...
silvergokuZ posted...
Took about 8 hours to format with my i7

If you would have booted your computer with your windows installation disc and formatted it there, it would have only took a couple of seconds to format. lol

Yes but I wanted a full format not a quick format

Anyway let it run chkdsk and 4 hours later it was still only at 10% so cancelled it.

Is there a quickish way to FULL format it
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#4GipFacePosted 9/2/2013 7:24:57 AM(edited)
The Seagate 4tb writes at about 140/mb sec on average. It has about 3.8 million mb. Doing the math, full formatting a 4tb drive will take about 7.5 hours.

So no there's not really a way to make it faster.
#5d209999Posted 9/2/2013 7:24:55 AM
silvergokuZ posted...
Yes but I wanted a full format not a quick format

Do you understand the difference?
---
*under construction*