This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What GPU would be best for a Core 2?

#1protools1983Posted 9/1/2013 7:55:44 AM
My brother desperately wants to game on a PC (he currently only has a laptop for schoolwork and the like) and he has acquired a Intel dual core and is piecing it together. I told him I'd get him a graphics card. A couple questions:

What GPU would maximize this system best? It will be running Windows 7 32 bit so it will be maxed out at 4GB of RAM.

What type of gaming experience can we expect from a system of these stats?

What are the price ranges of GPU's that would fit this scenario?

Thanks guys.
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/1/2013 8:12:47 AM(edited)
Get a 1GB card if you seriously can't get 64bit windows. Video memory eats into your 4GB cap.
A 1GB 650Ti would be plenty for a Core 2 Duo.
You could expect med-high, maybe occasional low at 1080p, or high-vhigh, maybe occasional med at 720p. Newer, more CPU demanding games, however, would likely be unplayable at any settings. Crysis 3, for example, you're going to be hitting FPS in the teens in some cases.

As for price range, around $100ish at most. HD7770 would probably be a good fit at ~$80.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#3protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 8:17:12 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Get a 1GB card if you seriously can't get 64bit windows. Video memory eats into your 4GB cap.
A 1GB 650Ti would be plenty for a Core 2 Duo.
You could expect med-high, maybe occasional low at 1080p, or high-vhigh, maybe occasional med at 720p. Newer, more CPU demanding games, however, would likely be unplayable at any settings. Crysis 3, for example, you're going to be hitting FPS in the teens in some cases.

As for price range, around $100ish at most. HD7770 would probably be a good fit at ~$80.

Thanks dude. Yea I wish we could go 64 bit but the board doesn't support it. Not being able to run Crysis isn't surprising. It would be nice if he could run Kerbal at a steady rate though.
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#4BowsaaPosted 9/1/2013 8:18:12 AM
I'd say 7770 or 7790, depending on what you find between ~$80-100. 1 GB, like Dark said.

That computer should be able to run most games fine, as long as you don't try to push the resolution too high. Stick with 1440x900 or 1366x768 and pretty much everything out should run fine on medium~high, depending on the game.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#5SnadadosPosted 9/1/2013 8:19:28 AM
Like has been mentioned, I'd say check out something like a 7750 or 7770 if you like AMD, 650 or 650ti if you prefer Nvidia.
Those should cost somewhere between $80 to $150 and should handle just about what ever you throw at them at medium to high settings.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?