This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just reapplied the thermal paste in my laptop; is the temp okay?

#1Chaos_MissilePosted 9/1/2013 8:02:14 AM
Reapplied to both the CPU and GPU on my Studio XPS1640. Naturally, there is no OC.

On idle, it averages around 40C.

To give it some load, but no games since I plan to format the machine as well, I ran a full system clean using Avast, Malwarebytes, Spybot and Defender.

Max temp reached was about 66C according to both CoreTemp and CPUID Hardware Monitor(I was not in the house, so I'm not sure what is the max temp recorded by MSI Afterburner)
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#2ShpooplePosted 9/1/2013 8:34:38 AM
That's fine
#3Chaos_Missile(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 8:42:00 AM
Shpoople posted...
That's fine

66C for non-gaming? Only intense scanning?

I'm a bit worried because this is the first time I'm reappalying thermal paste. In addition, I'm not sure if it will help with the framerate drop in certain games that I'm experiencing(DoW2 and Titan Quest)
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
#4Reaper_MinionPosted 9/1/2013 8:51:06 AM
If you are having framerate drops when you are close to fire in Titan Quest, you can't fix it. It's a compatibility issue with newer graphics cards.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#5Chaos_Missile(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 6:10:49 PM
Reaper_Minion posted...
If you are having framerate drops when you are close to fire in Titan Quest, you can't fix it. It's a compatibility issue with newer graphics cards.

I kinda expect it with the fire thing already. It's usually with general gameplay that I get slowdowns. Same with DoW2.

I can usually get about 5 or so minutes worth of normal gameplay before it slow downs.
---
#6LaMichael_JamesPosted 9/2/2013 9:57:11 PM
how does the xps1640 cope with modern games?

a friend of mine got it a few years ago and i thought the machine looked sexy as hell
---
GOAT
#7Chaos_Missile(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 12:20:43 AM
LaMichael_James posted...
how does the xps1640 cope with modern games?

a friend of mine got it a few years ago and i thought the machine looked sexy as hell

I'm not sure if it's the same model but....
Mine's an old model(also also probably a country-specific one, seeing I didnt get certain customisations as noted in a link I'm posting later), probably before the refurbished, so I'm not sure.

With my specs of HD4670, 4GB RAM, Win Vista/7 32-bit, Core 2 Duo P8700, I could generally handle games up to 2010 pretty well. Probably the 2 biggest games I tried were Crysis and CoD: MW1. No notable slowdowns for MW1, but Crysis had some framerate drops around the late alien levels, beginning...the level where you infiltrate the alien ship and start floating around in anti-grav. It was notably severe especially the last 1-2 missions., but was fixed by running the game in DX9 as opposed to DX10.

STALKER: SoC also did okay from what I've played, though this is normal without mods. DoW2 was also generally running quite well, with no notable slowdowns.

Note that most of these were played on High settings @ iirc 1920x1280. Crysis *might* have been at a lower res, but I dont remember.

I'm tempted to try Batman: AA should I manage to fix my framerate issue that's been plaguing me recently and resulted in me reapplying the thermal paste (ie. both DoW2 and Titan Quest feels like they dropped to single-digit frames after maybe 5 or so mins of gameplay)

Think the biggest issue I have is the location of the airways: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Studio-XPS-16-Notebook.14431.0.html

It's at the top left corner of the machine, blocked by the monitor itself. Quite poor ventilation which generally results in my machine getting quite hot at times.
---