This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MY ECE class's first lab is disassembling a PC to find out what is hidden within

#1BowsaaPosted 9/1/2013 10:27:03 AM(edited)
80/80

Edit: Damn, accidental double capitalized 'my' in the title. Lame.

We're supposed to be learning how to identify the parts of a PC and what they do, as well as how to use the tools needed to take the PC apart in the first place. However, the list of tools required for the lab is as follows:

Flat head screwdriver
Phillips head screwdriver
Adjustable Wrench
Needle Nose pliers
Diagonal Cutters
Nut Drivers
Allen Wrenches
Torx Wrenches
Tweezers
Soldering Iron

I'm really not sure what's up with this. I guess that the professor just wants us to know all of the tools for future labs...? I just think it's sort of funny how excessive the tool list is.

I guess that more then a screwdriver could be required if you start disassembling a disk drive or HDD or something, but I'm not sure. And even counting that, I doubt that you would need nearly as many of the tools here.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#2PhilOnDezPosted 9/1/2013 10:35:10 AM
All it takes to disassemble an HDD is a screwdriver, and a torque driver if you want to put it back together.

From start to finish, I used two screwdrivers, a pair of needle nose pliers (to clip some cable ties and undo a tight thumbscrew) and a razor knife (to open packages). Unless you guys are just completely destroying the computers you definitely won't need all that stuff.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3TheWayOfTheGunPosted 9/1/2013 10:37:13 AM
A soldering iron? Are you guys making computers or taking them apart?
#4TheDrizzuhPosted 9/1/2013 11:11:11 AM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
A soldering iron? Are you guys making computers or taking them apart?

probably melting solder and removing ICs or other components.
---
"I won! %@#$ you! You are dumb. I have crushed you."
--Wooz
#5Bowsaa(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 12:37:58 PM
That's what it would seem like, but from reading the lab description it sounds so much less in depth.

The professor said that we could go as deep as we want, but most people hadn't even opened up their computer, so I doubt that anyone would go that far.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#6LordSeiferPosted 9/1/2013 1:32:30 PM
the hidden inner secrets of a PC, no one knows what is contained within, oh wait theres a window
---
^ this
#7reincarnator07Posted 9/1/2013 3:01:28 PM
Been FAAAAAR too long since a proper 80/80
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero