This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help running Oblivion and San Andreas?

#1freedreePosted 9/1/2013 10:19:35 AM
Hi, I recently posted a topic on the Skyrim board for help on Oblivion, but I think all this fits better here.
These two games are becoming a real pain in the ass lol, as their sequels seem to run fine on my mid-range laptop (I'm happy with a smooth 25-30fps lol, gaming isn't the main reason I use this laptop). Skyrim runs at around 25fps, whereas GTA4 is worse when at max settings, but medium is fine.

Unfortunately it seems that Oblivion and San Andreas aren't as well optimized as their sequels, with Oblivion stuck between 9 and 12fps no matter the settings, and San Andreas at around 6-11fps when anywhere above the lowest graphics settings (For both games, I've kept the resolution at 720p), and goes up to 25fps on the lowest I think, it's like there's a gigantic difference in fps between the lowest setting and the next one up, then the fps doesn't change anymore, even at the highest settings.

There are more problems with SA it seems, as the intro credits don't appear, I just hear the music (even the the rockstar logos don't pop up, I just hear the spray-can sound). Also, after fiddling around, now the game image flickers (or screen tears?), whether I'm in the menu, or in the game itself, even in the beginning loading screen. I've heard that SA has problems with Windows 7 (which I have), but I have no idea if the problems I'm having are because of it.

BTW, both games are the Steam versions.

I hope I managed to explain my problem clearly lol. Does anyone know of some sort of solution? Any help would be appreciated ^^.
#2RhytenPosted 9/1/2013 11:15:13 AM
I would post your pc hardware, like the graphics card and such, otherwise it's quite hard to help.
---
Antec Neo Eco 620w | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz | EVGA Gtx 570 1280 Mb | 8 Gb DDR 3 1333 Mhz | WD 1 Tb 7200 Rpm SATA 3 | HP 2011x 20" 1600x900
#3SlaynPosted 9/1/2013 11:17:46 AM(edited)
Rhyten posted...
I would post your pc hardware, like the graphics card and such, otherwise it's quite hard to help.

+1

and upgrade your graphics drivers
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#4freedree(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 12:34:46 PM(edited)
Oh yeah, I forgot about that, sorry.

Windows 7 64bit
CPU: Intel i5-3210m 2.50GHz
RAM: 4Gb
GPU : intel HD graphics 4000 / AMD Radeon HD 7670m (The AMD card is used when running a game)

It's a Samsung NP350v5c Series 3
#5Hi CPosted 9/1/2013 1:38:48 PM
User error. Reinstall your drivers or something.

Oblivion runs 60fps on my i5-430m/4570m notebook.
---
You'll be my John G.
#6silvergokuZPosted 9/1/2013 1:44:29 PM
San Andreas has a 30fps frame cap which goes down to 25fps due to bad design but there is 2 tiny exes you can use to patch both, google fps adjuster and limiter, one lets you set fps and one removes the lag so it runs smooth 60fps assuming your card can handle it
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#7RhytenPosted 9/2/2013 10:32:07 AM
My guess is that the games are using your intel instead of the radeon card. Check the graphics card panel and set those games to high performance.
---
Antec Neo Eco 620w | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz | EVGA Gtx 570 1280 Mb | 8 Gb DDR 3 1333 Mhz | WD 1 Tb 7200 Rpm SATA 3 | HP 2011x 20" 1600x900
#8freedree(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 12:52:29 PM
Okay, I've tried reinstalling the drivers but it doesn't seem to change anything.

However, for the weird graphical problem in San Andreas, I've figured it out: I had to change the intro video's file name from "GTAtitle" to "GTAtitleGER", this made it so I could see the intro video with the rockstar logos. for the flickering/tearing of the image, the problem was I was using 16bit resolution (I hadn't realized that there are two versions of each resolution XD).

Now, I just have to figure out why my fps is so low I guess. Since I can now play SA without the graphical wierdness. On low it's at a stable 26 with the fps limiter, and it goes up to around 40 outdoors without the limiter. However, on medium, it goes down below 20, sometimes lingers around 8-10fps (it varies a lot). I tried it on very high, it seems to be about the same (maybe a tiny bit lower). Is this gap between low and medium normal?

btw, I think it is using the Amd card, when gaming, the only time it switches to the intel card is when the laptop is unplugged/ in eco mode. But I'll still test that out with San Andreas, I would've thought that my AMD could do more than 15fps average on medium settings :-/.

In any case, thanks for all the advice :P.
#9AllHailTheDead6Posted 9/2/2013 1:36:25 PM
Oblivion doesnt surprise me

Fully modded out it was running around 20fps nomatter what settings I used

just poor engine design
---
Steam ID AllHailTheDead
*Puts on his robe and wizard hat*
#10silvergokuZPosted 9/3/2013 9:17:21 AM
freedree posted...
Okay, I've tried reinstalling the drivers but it doesn't seem to change anything.

However, for the weird graphical problem in San Andreas, I've figured it out: I had to change the intro video's file name from "GTAtitle" to "GTAtitleGER", this made it so I could see the intro video with the rockstar logos. for the flickering/tearing of the image, the problem was I was using 16bit resolution (I hadn't realized that there are two versions of each resolution XD).

Now, I just have to figure out why my fps is so low I guess. Since I can now play SA without the graphical wierdness. On low it's at a stable 26 with the fps limiter, and it goes up to around 40 outdoors without the limiter. However, on medium, it goes down below 20, sometimes lingers around 8-10fps (it varies a lot). I tried it on very high, it seems to be about the same (maybe a tiny bit lower). Is this gap between low and medium normal?

btw, I think it is using the Amd card, when gaming, the only time it switches to the intel card is when the laptop is unplugged/ in eco mode. But I'll still test that out with San Andreas, I would've thought that my AMD could do more than 15fps average on medium settings :-/.

In any case, thanks for all the advice :P.

Read what I said, you need 2 tiny files that increase the fps as its locked to 26fps due to bad design giving it lag even on powerful pcs and then the other one sets the frame rate to 60 but you need both to set it
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.