This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Searching an old DOS game (Description extremely blurry)

#1terror_terencePosted 9/1/2013 2:33:37 PM
Back in the days when i was around 8, 9, 10 I played alot of weird games on the PC, getting from older kids or parents who had no idea what was good.

Some games of them were pretty funny and understandable, Blupi, Croc, Red Cat (The Educational and weird platformer), T.I.M. Commander Keen, but some of the games where to weird for me to understand due to being young (Shivers, Leisure Suit Larry, Clue the Game).

One of them was a Simulation game, something like the Sims and Rollercoaster.....or something.
This is where it already starts to fade what it exactly was for game, im gonna try to visualize.
You where a someone who's goal was to make money, simple, you had an overworld like a townsquare and around the square you had businesses like a bank (SE Corner), a factory (NW Corner), fast food restaurant (West Corner) and some other places i forgot, where you could work to earn money.

Every turn was based on days, so when your day starts you're pick a job which u chose and start working there, not exactly how, i presumed just by clicking on arrow buttons how long you would work there and go somewhere else to work there aswell untill your day was over, then you could head out to the bank and see how good how divided your day.

One of the things i remember was that your character progressed in a way that your clothes matched the amount of money you had, did you become bankrupt a pop-up screen in the middle of the town centre came on showing you in a barrel with bretels (I can remember that clearly).

Can't think of anymore hints how this game looked like, but for some reason, it's one of the biggest mysteries in my gaming life that i haven't figured out yet and i want it resolved and play to see if it was ever worth playing (one more mystery where you was some walking fruit platformer for the N64 extension console but thats for some other fcked up day)

Would be nice if somebody has any idea!

P.S.: I could be totally wrong about any date, hell, i can even be wrong on the DOS part, but i doubt i have that wrong, since it doesnt look (in my memory) as anything close to a Flash game.
#2terror_terence(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 2:34:48 PM
Some typo's and grammar faults, had it reviewed, but forgot to re-review it, my bad, i'm sorry
#3ZukkusPosted 9/1/2013 2:51:33 PM
Jones in the Fast Lane?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_in_the_Fast_Lane
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#4BadProfessionalPosted 9/1/2013 5:00:45 PM
terror_terence posted...
Back in the days when i was around 8, 9, 10 I played alot of weird games on the PC, getting from older kids or parents who had no idea what was good.

Some games of them were pretty funny and understandable, Blupi, Croc, Red Cat (The Educational and weird platformer), T.I.M. Commander Keen, but some of the games where to weird for me to understand due to being young (Shivers, Leisure Suit Larry, Clue the Game).

Somebody you know/knew thought it would be appropriate to give a 8-10 year old a LSL game?
---
Sarcasm passes for serious here.
Serious passes for sarcasm here.
#5ATARIJAWAPosted 9/1/2013 5:04:05 PM
Yeah sounds like Jones in the Fast Lane.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#6kelemvorPosted 9/1/2013 7:40:37 PM
BadProfessional posted...
terror_terence posted...

Somebody you know/knew thought it would be appropriate to give a 8-10 year old a LSL game?

I might be wrong here, it's been 15 years or so since I've played a LSL game, but doesn't the first game ask you some stupid pop culture questions they assumed kids wouldn't know? If you answer them wrong the game shuts down because you're too young or something.

Obviously Sierra knew kids would figure it out, but the whole idea was funny in and of itself.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#7shaned1980Posted 9/1/2013 8:11:14 PM
I think The Game of Life is kinda like that.
#8Freelance_WolfPosted 9/1/2013 8:32:40 PM(edited)
Jones in the Fast Lane was awesome, and yes, the game you're talking about is this one. It's too bad there wasn't any sequels or a remake of it. You can play the game free online.

---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#9ElDudorinoPosted 9/2/2013 5:41:37 AM
Other than the board layout, your description was actually pretty good. I'm surprised how many other people here played Jones... I've introduced a lot of people to it and everybody loves it but none of them had ever heard of it before in the slightest.

I love that game because it always ends reeeaaallly close, though it's a bit annoying that there seems to be one "best" career path and a lot of useless jobs.
#10someguyshandPosted 9/2/2013 5:53:23 AM
Yeah, if you were lucky enough to land yourself the Factory job on the first go, you were pretty much set to winning the game.
---
(Insert Name) killed Some Guy
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55859/122kyz9.gif